Upgrading Vault to 2.0

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Upgrading Vault to 2.0

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:58 pm

I remember there being an article explaining the proper way to upgrade vault. I was wondering if that was still available of if someone could post the recommended way to upgrade.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:13 pm

If you are upgrading from Vault 1.1 or later, you can install Vault 2.0 over your existing installation.

If you have a Vault 1.0.3 or earlier, uninstall the Vault Server (when prompted, choose to keep your database), then install Vault 2.0. Your database will be upgraded as part of the installation.

In both cases, make sure you backup your Vault database before beginning the installation. You can do this via SQL Server backup, or from the Vault Admin Tool, in the Backup pane.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

gaffa

Post by gaffa » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:27 pm

Before I get too carried away upgrading, how long is the DB upgrade process (assuming a 2-3Gb database)? Minutes, hours or days?

(Yeah, I know that you can't give accurate figures, but any approximations?)

- Matt

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:26 am

Matt:

There were some history adjustments to make room for snapshots vs. labels. If your database has been maintained with the proper maintenance, it shouldn't take too long to make the adjustments - (minutes or less).
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

efalsken

maintenance?

Post by efalsken » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:56 am

jclausius wrote:Matt:

There were some history adjustments to make room for snapshots vs. labels. If your database has been maintained with the proper maintenance, it shouldn't take too long to make the adjustments - (minutes or less).
What is proper maintenance?

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:40 pm

normal database maintenance varies based on number of users, distribution of data, imported vss databases, deleted repositories, etc.

here is the "jeff clausius rule of thumb for database maintenance":
1) UPDATE STATISTICS for all tables every sunday morning - note by default the sgvault database has auto_stats on, but i like to run these anyway.
2) DBCC INDEXDEFRAG every month
3) DBCC DBREINDEX every 4 - 6 months

again, these are just some of my quick and dirty rules. i'm inviting others to share some of their favorite maintenance strategies.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:07 pm

please note, i am not implying anything special needs to be done in order for the vault database to operate correctly. the sourcegear vault server team (including myself) went to extreme lengths to make sure as little as user interaction would be required to maintain the database.

my personal recommendations in the last post are just that, personal recommendations. in case anyone is wondering about my character, perhaps this can provide some insight. i run scandisk every two weeks, and defrag my drives every month. its just the type of guy i am. :)
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear