Integration with Axosoft OnTime

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
obrion

Integration with Axosoft OnTime

Post by obrion » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:17 am

I was pretty excited to receive the notice that with the release of Vault Professional 5.1, Vault would now be "including integration with Axosoft OnTime, the award winning project management and bug tracking software." As my team is now (finally) starting to use an Agile development methodology, having a single tool that would allow us to manage our feature backlog, defects found during testing, production incidents and developer tasks, and that would be able to integrate to our chose source control software was like a dream come true. Just think, to be able to check in a change set and associate it to a new feature being developed or a testing defect or a production problem would be ideal.

However, once I upgraded the server to Vault Professional 5.1.1 and upgraded the client and configured the Axosoft OnTime SDK so Vault could successfully communicate with the OnTime SDK on the server, I was surprised to find that the ONLY portion of OnTime that was available to be associated with a chengeset when checked in were the defects.

When will the other items, such as Features, Incidents and Tasks also be available to be associated with checkins in Vault Professional?

Robert O'Brion
AT&T Labs

lbauer

Re: Integration with Axosoft OnTime

Post by lbauer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:44 pm

We do hope to add the other types of items in future releases, but wanted to get feedback from Axosoft users on the integration to make sure we're on the right track.

Before we expand integration, we'd like feedback on what areas should be added.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:17 pm

Hello,

you're lucky to have it work :-)
It's OK from OnTime.
But how is the reverse possible. I've found the Axosoft OnTime inIntegration components. But this is not what I expected. I connect directly through SQL; I suppose you use the SDK I do not know at all.

Is there any help on that. Why an OnTime URL ? Is the WEB Server mandatory ?...

Thanks for your help

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:46 am

It's OK from OnTime.
But how is the reverse possible. I've found the Axosoft OnTime inIntegration components. But this is not what I expected. I connect directly through SQL; I suppose you use the SDK I do not know at all.

Is there any help on that. Why an OnTime URL ? Is the WEB Server mandatory ?...
Not sure what you mean by "is the reverse possible," Could you explain in more detail what you would like to see?

What did you expect compared to how Vault Pro integration currently works with OnTime?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:25 am

I can have OnTime connect to Vault
but I cannot have Vault connect to OnTime; how can I set this up ?
Do you have a screenshot of your settings ?

Is the OnTime Web server mandatory for that ?

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:27 am

I've seen OnTime work with Vault, though not quite clear for me.

I've not seen OnTime work within Vault, and that's my question: how can this be setup.

Xavier

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:04 am

If you are using Axosoft’s OnTime for work item tracking, Vault Professional provides access to OnTime Defects within the standalone Vault Professional client.

Vault integration will require installation and configuration of the Axosoft OnTime SDK. See Axosoft documentation regarding this component.

http://www.axosoft.com/support/documentation

You will need the URL to your OnTime server and a Security Token.

The security token is a GUID generated by your OnTime administrator. The security token is configured in the OnTime web.config file and a copy is used in the Vault Professional Client for OnTime integration. See OnTime SDK documentation for details on the security token.

AxoSoft OnTime integration options are stored in the Vault Professional Server database. You must configure OnTime Options for each Vault Pro Server or repository that your Vault Pro Client connects to.
Then in the Vault Pro client, under Tools->Options->Integration options, enable Axosoft OnTime Integration.

The configuration in the screenshot is just an example. You need add the actual URL to your own AxoSoft Ontime server. (Note: disregard the cursor mark in the Ontime URL in the screenshot).

For more information, see this KB article:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic ... 47&t=14246

Also, see Vault Pro Client Help->Vault Professional Integrated OnTime work item integration. Here's a copy of Help on our website:

http://download.sourcegear.com/misc/vau ... ohelp.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

bjin

Post by bjin » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:26 am

Any plans of integrate OnTime directly in VS (2010) plugin?
I want to be able to close/set state of OnTime defects directly from VS (on checkin with check-in comments...) instead of having to launch the separate client to do so...

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:18 am

We've discussed this, and are waiting for feedback from users. I've logged feature request 15817 for this functionality.

Actually, OnTime already has an integrated item tracking client for Visual Studio. Would you prefer to use that client or still use the Vault Pro change set to update the defects? Using the OnTime Visual Studio integration would not associate a Vault change set with work items.

Other users -- let us know if this is of interest to you and we'll log your "vote" with the feature request.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

bjin

Post by bjin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:19 am

Well...one thing confuses me a bit and this is that Vault Pro Ed is required for OnTime integration.
..and with OnTime you pretty much replace Dragnet - right?
And Dragnet is the "Pro" part of Vault..? So all thats left is SCM which is pretty much Vault Std Edition?
I just dont see the point of still having the Dragnet part of the product when integrating with OnTime...
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Well well...
The item tracking and SCM integration today in Vault Pro is great and very easy to work with.
I'm very happy with the ability to add the item tracking details as part of the checkin and also to automatically update the item's state. And this is exacly the kind of integration I would like to see with OnTime - where Dragnet is "simply" replaced by OnTime.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:23 am

Vault Pro provides the source control features of Vault with item tracking. Vault Pro give you options for item tracking. Many users are very happy with the functionality of SourceGear's built-in item tracking in Vault Pro.

But we have heard from other user that they want more options for integrated item tracking. OnTime is a more complex work item tracking system, with workflow, reports, and other features not currently available in SourceGear's item tracking. Some users don't need this type of functionality-- others do. So Vault Pro gives you the option to choose the item tracking system that best meets your needs.

As we get feedback from users, we will evalutate what functionality we will add to the OnTime integration as well as what types of feature we will add to the SourceGear item tracking. You will see continued improvements in the future!
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:42 am

bjin wrote:Well...one thing confuses me a bit and this is that Vault Pro Ed is required for OnTime integration.
..and with OnTime you pretty much replace Dragnet - right?
And Dragnet is the "Pro" part of Vault..? So all thats left is SCM which is pretty much Vault Std Edition?
I just dont see the point of still having the Dragnet part of the product when integrating with OnTime...
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
bjin, let's see if this explanation helps.

Vault Professional's feature set includes integration with work item systems. Currently, that integration includes native Vault Pro Work items and Axosoft OnTime defects.

This is not a set list. We understand that there are different bug tracking/workflow methodologies out there and realize the native Work Items cannot be all things to all people. That being the case, we'll be looking at integrating with other systems, and over time, those components will become a part of the feature set for Vault Professional.

It isn't explicitly stated that way, but some of that info can be found in the - SourceGear Newsletter #4 - "Vault Standard/Vault Professional 5.1" article
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

bjin

Post by bjin » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:00 am

Great! Thanx both of you for your replies :)

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:14 pm

I certainly would like to have others items (features, tasks, incidents<=>often not far from bugs) availables

What is strange is that I only see a "Vault Transaction" in the description tab, but nothing in the SCM tab. Is it the expected behaviour ?

Xavier

Post by Xavier » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:21 pm

It would be great to be able to edit items, even if it requires running OnTime executable or link to its web browser.

As I do not see my other post:
- it would be great to have features, tasks and incidents as well
- have items appear in the SCM file tab of OnTime (not only in the description with an undetailed 'Vault Transaction')

Best regards

Xavier