import from multiple repositories?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
dcornelius

import from multiple repositories?

Post by dcornelius » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:54 am

I'm going to be installing Vault in a situation where the are lots of small projects, each lasting anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months. The previous manager would start a new VSS repository at the beginning of every year, marking the previous year's repository as read-only.

There are 6 years worth of projects and quite often, I get asked about a bug that we fixed or a feature we implemented on a certain project. Accessing the history of a project is very important and I don't always know what year the project was finished--or even if it spanned two years--so I have to open each repository until I find the project and can look at the history.

What I need to do is be able to import all the history from all the repositories into one new Vault database. As I mentioned previously, some projects span multiple years. So my question is: Can Vault import more than one VSS repository without overwriting information and if so, do I need to import them in a specific order so that the project history can build on a previous year's project history?

Thanks!

Beth

Re: import from multiple repositories?

Post by Beth » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:25 am

You can import from many VSS databases into Vault, but you can't import items of the same file name on top of each other. We can't merge histories of two items by the same name.

What you would end up as an end result might look like:
$
|---Project 1
........|---imported files and folders
|---Project 2
|---Project 3

You could also import each VSS database into it's own repository. You would get better performance out of a repository that way versus placing everything into one repository.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

dcornelius

Post by dcornelius » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:00 pm

Thank you very much for this information. There are 3 general groupings of projects, so I'll probably put each into a separate database and import the various years of a project into "branches" of a project so that the history can be kept together as much as possible.

Thanks again!

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:19 pm

You're welcome.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support