Error trying to import

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
dcornelius

Error trying to import

Post by dcornelius » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:38 pm

I just installed a trial of Vault Pro on a Windows server with SQL Server 2008 and need to import a VSS repository from a different server which is on the same domain. I've downloaded and installed the import tool (vr. 5.1.1) and read the overview (http://download.sourcegear.com/VaultPro ... lp/import/).

I've tried this on three different computers: Windows 7 64-bit, XP 32-bit, and Windows 2003 Server. Each of them already had the VSS Explorer 6.0 (client) installed; the Windows 2003 Server machine is where the Source Safe files reside.

Each machine I run the import tool, I get an error and it asks me if this is where Source Safe is installed. If it needs the SS "Server", then I need to be on the Windows 2003 Server (where the repository is), right? OK, so forgetting about the "client" computers, I tried running it on the Win 2003 Srvr machine but after selecting the path and entering the username and password, I click Next and get the message: "Unable to connect to SourceSafe. Is SourceSafe installed on this machine? Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID <long_guid> failed due to the following error: 80040154." Then I click OK and get a second error: "Error opening SourceSafe database. Object reference not set to an instance of an object." (I've seen that common .NET error before...)

This server is the machine where all the other computers point to to access Source Safe. There are several SS repositories on there and the drop-down list in the import tool is automatically filled with the list of .ini files for each repository. That indicates to me I'm actually on the machine I need to be, right?

So what am I missing?

lbauer

Re: Error trying to import

Post by lbauer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:20 am

I'd suggest we schedule a remote assist session where I can take a closer look. Email support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda. Please include a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

dcornelius

Post by dcornelius » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:46 am

Will do. Thanks!

dcornelius

Post by dcornelius » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:54 pm

Thank you for your email help. I found that the VSS client wasn't even installed correctly! Simply registering the SSAPI.DLL file got the whole process working and projects are being imported.

Thanks again!

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:43 am

Thanks for the update. That's good news. : )
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager