Moving to a new Database server

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
owainajones

Moving to a new Database server

Post by owainajones » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:42 pm

Hi,

We are switching our database server so I need to modify the connection strings in our Vault installation.

I changed the sgvault and sgdragnet connection strings in the following locations:
${INSTALL_DIR}\wwwroot\VaultService\Web.Config
${INSTALL_DIR}\wwwroot\VaultPro\Web.Config

And this seems to be ok, but I cannot find where to modify the connection to the sgmaster database, where can I find this?

Thanks,

Owain

lbauer

Re: Moving to a new Database server

Post by lbauer » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:42 pm

Are you moving just the databases or are you moving the Vault Pro Server and the databases?

There's specific ways of doing this so that Vault Pro functions properly after the move.

For instance when you move the database to a new SQL Server, you also have to delete and recreate the database user. We'd recommend uninstalling Vault, leaving the databases, then moving the databases to the new SQL Server. Next, reinstall Vault, pointing it to the new database location. Details here:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=924

To move your database and server, first restore Vault Pro sgvault, sgdragnet and sgmaster databases to the new SQL Server machine. Then install Vault on the new web server machine, pointing it to the database location.

Details here:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=924

If SQL Server is on a different machine than the Vault Server, your options depend on what you want to use for your SQL authentication:

--Windows authentication -- use a custom (domain) account for the IIS process model user, then choose Windows authentication in the SQL Server setup portion of the installation.

--SQL Server authentication -- choose SQL Server authentication in the SQL Server setup portion of the installation. The installer will ask for your SQL Server SA credentials so that it can create an sgvaultuser account for Vault to use to communicate with the database.

Let me know if you have additional questions.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

owainajones

Post by owainajones » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:27 am

Hi Linda,

The databases are on a separate server from the Vault Pro Server. The database user that is used to authenticate is valid on both servers, so I'm wondering if it is overkill to do the procedure described.

Basically I would just like to know where the sgmaster connection string is defined and I can simply modify the connection strings to the three databases.

Thanks,

Owain

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:36 am

There is no separate connection string for sgmaster. Our code looks for the sgvault connection string and uses the same server information.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager