new file in branch can merge to another branch

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
stoneskin

new file in branch can merge to another branch

Post by stoneskin » Wed May 11, 2011 10:29 am

In Vault Professional I have a trunk and two branches A and B from the trunk
I added couple classes in branches A, checked in . checked out make some change then checked in again.
so the new added file version will other than 1.

Then I tried to merge branch A to branch B, I expected those new files I added to branch A will be added to branch B. but the merge tool always said "Not found" in warning and not let me add them.

same thing happen if I added a new folder in branch A.

is it a bug?

will you plan to fix this?
mergeAddedFiles.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lbauer

Re: new file in branch can merge to another branch

Post by lbauer » Wed May 11, 2011 11:04 am

The Merge Branches Wizard does not merge just contents of one folder into another. It merges transactions, or change sets.

It's possible you are trying to merge the latest version of the branched folder, but this version does not include the transaction that that created or added the file.

For instance, assume I have a Documents folder, and I branch this to make Documentsbranch, which is at version 32.

Then I add a file called README.txt to Documentsbranch, which is now at version 33.

Next I edit README.txt, which would create version 34 of Documentsbranch. If I try to merge version 34 into Documents, Readme.txt would be "Not found" because the file was added in version 33 -- and I'm not merging that.

You need to select all the transactions that contain the changes you want. You can do this by holding down the Ctrl key and selecting the versions you want.

If you double-click on the line of the version, you will get the details of the transaction. Find the transaction that created the file, and be sure to include this in the merge.
Selectchangesetsmerge.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed May 11, 2011 11:05 am

More screenshots. This is the transaction detail you see by clicking on the version in the Select Changes to be Merged screen.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

stoneskin

Post by stoneskin » Wed May 11, 2011 11:34 am

That make sense.
I was not notice that transactions are multiple selectable.
Thank you very much.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed May 11, 2011 10:11 pm

You're welcome. :)
Linda Bauer
SourceGear