Null Parameter

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
Drazix

Null Parameter

Post by Drazix » Tue May 24, 2011 7:22 am

Ever since I upgraded from Fortress to Vault Pro, I get the following message when logging in using the client:
Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: String
I always ignore it, but after seeing it 10 times a day, it's getting rather annoying :)

Beth

Re: Null Parameter

Post by Beth » Tue May 24, 2011 7:45 am

Are you seeing this as an error on your client or in the server-side log?

In your IIS Manager, look under the website that Vault was installed to. Do you have a Fortress folder there?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Drazix

Post by Drazix » Tue May 24, 2011 8:09 am

I get an error dialogue in the Vault Client during login, i never use the webbased access.

EDIT: I only see VaultPro, VaultService and VaultShadowFolder in IIS

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue May 24, 2011 8:41 am

Do you ever get logged into the client, or does it only get as far as the error? Can you post a screenshot of the error?

Can you post the full error from your Vault client log found at %temp%\VaultGUIclient.txt?

Can you look in your Vault Server Log for an error occurring at the same time? That is found on the server at %windir%\temp\sgvault\sgvault.log.
Beth Kieler

Drazix

Post by Drazix » Tue May 24, 2011 3:57 pm

I get it every login, independant of the repositry choosen, and after clicking 'OK' every functions fine.

Client log
24-5-2011 23:45:00 <generic>: [GUIClientWorkerThread:6384] [System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Value cannot be null.
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at VaultClientNetLib.ClientService.VaultService.GetRepositoryOptions(VaultRepositoryOptions& vOptions)
at VaultClientNetLib.VaultConnection.GetRepositoryOptions(Int32 nRepID, VaultRepositoryOptions& options)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.RefreshRepositoryOptions()
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.SetActiveRepositoryID(Int32 id, String username, String uniqueRepositoryID, Boolean doRefresh, Boolean updateKnownChangesAll)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.ChooseRepository(Boolean forceDialogShow, String inProfile)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientThread.ProcessCommand(GUIClientThreadCommand command, GUIClientThreadCommandResult& outputResult)] Value cannot be null.
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at VaultClientNetLib.ClientService.VaultService.GetRepositoryOptions(VaultRepositoryOptions& vOptions)
at VaultClientNetLib.VaultConnection.GetRepositoryOptions(Int32 nRepID, VaultRepositoryOptions& options)
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.RefreshRepositoryOptions()
at VaultClientOperationsLib.ClientInstance.SetActiveRepositoryID(Int32 id, String username, String uniqueRepositoryID, Boolean doRefresh, Boolean updateKnownChangesAll)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientInstance.ChooseRepository(Boolean forceDialogShow, String inProfile)
at VaultClientPresentationLib.GUIClientThread.ProcessCommand(GUIClientThreadCommand command, GUIClientThreadCommandResult& outputResult)
Server log
----5/24/2011 23:45:00 PM X--SSL Disabled System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
at System.Number.ParseInt64(String value, NumberStyles options, NumberFormatInfo numfmt)
at System.Int64.Parse(String s)
at VaultService.VaultService.GetRepositoryOptions(VaultRepositoryOptions& vOptions) at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
at System.Number.ParseInt64(String value, NumberStyles options, NumberFormatInfo numfmt)
at System.Int64.Parse(String s)
at VaultService.VaultService.GetRepositoryOptions(VaultRepositoryOptions& vOptions)

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue May 24, 2011 4:17 pm

Does the repository name you are selecting have any special characters in it or is it entirely alpha-numeric?

Does anyone else receive an error when connecting with the GUI client?
Beth Kieler

Drazix

Post by Drazix » Wed May 25, 2011 5:14 am

No, it's simply called 'Development'. Also I have no weird filenames in the branches (like files with '#' character). It seems my Fortress database is somehow incompatible with Vault Pro.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed May 25, 2011 9:12 am

There should be an install log that would tell me if it ran into anything strange during the upgrade. Can you send me the file vault_install.log from %temp% on your Vault server? You can either post it here or send it attached to an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread.
Beth Kieler

Drazix

Post by Drazix » Wed May 25, 2011 12:15 pm

There was nothing special during install, just like any other Fortress upgrade. I didnt encounter any errors or warnings, and I don't have the install log anymore im afraid, because it has been a couple of months since I installed it.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu May 26, 2011 7:42 am

Are you on Vault Professional 5.1.0 or 5.1.1?

Can you open a web browser, connect to Vault Professional, and then browse work items? Can you open and edit work items?

What steps did you use when you upgraded? The steps should be:
1) Backup sgvault, sgmaster, and sgdragnet databases.
2) Uninstall Fortress but choose the option to keep the database.
3) Install Vault Professional and let it pick up and use the Fortress databases. It will upgrade the databases.

Did you do any database restoring or create new databases?

What version of Fortress did you upgrade from?

Can you run the following query and email me the results?

Code: Select all

select * from sgmaster.dbo.upgradehistory
You can send the email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread and the results.
Beth Kieler