RollBack option Greyed Out

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
colinrobinson

RollBack option Greyed Out

Post by colinrobinson » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:35 am

I would like to rollback a project but when I select my labled folder in History Veiwer the Option to Rollback Is greyed out. There is nothing checked out at the moment and The version is not currently pinned.

Can I do this from a client or do i need to be in administrator on the server. I have administrator permissions on the project ?

system info:
Client Information
Vault Client Version: 5.0.3.18802
.Net Framework Version: 2.0.50727.4927
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Service Pack: 0.0
OS Version: 6.1.7600
Total Physical Memory: 3.8 GB
Time Zone: (UTC) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London

Server Information
Vault Server Version: 5.0.4.18845
.Net Framework Version: 2.0.50727.3082
Operating System: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
Service Pack: 2.0
OS Version: 5.2.3790
Timezone: (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London
SQL Version: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.4035.00 (Intel X86)
Nov 24 2008 13:01:59
Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation
Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

License Information
2 serial number(s):
1 of 2: 1 full users, permanent

Beth

Re: RollBack option Greyed Out

Post by Beth » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:58 am

It's not possible currently to roll back an entire folder with the rollback function. The rollback function is for individual files. There is a way to rollback an entire folder, you just won't use the rollback function for that.
  • 1) Check out the folder involved.

2) Identify the version of the folder you want or the label you want and Get it to a location other than your working folder..
    • a. Folder Version
      • i. For folder version, use Show History, but select the option to View folder history by version.
        ii. What will help you find the folder version you need will be either detailed comments, or you can view the tree to see what is encompassed in that folder version.
        iii. Select the folder version you want to return to and click Get Tree. Notice that there is a date and time stamp on each one as well, so if you need a set date, that would be the version you need. Make sure you choose some other location to get to than the working folder.
      b. Label Version
      • i. Perform a Show labels at the folder level.
        ii. Set the location to get to be some other location besides the working folder.
    3) Once the Get is complete, you will copy the items in the new location to the working folder and allow them to overwrite it.
    4) Return to Fortress and check in your changes.
The previous folder or label version is now copied up to be the latest version. The latest version is now the equivalent as that previous point in time. The history is still intact in case one decides they need the files they had overwritten.

If the instructions are hard to follow, then I have instructions with an example I can send you. To see that send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread.

I do have a feature request open for a rollback folder function that I can add your vote to if you'd like. Just let me know.

F: 6745
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

colinrobinson

Post by colinrobinson » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:42 am

thanks, I can follow that,

But rollback Folder enabled would be Neater, you can add my Vote to feature request

Cheers

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:43 pm

Got it. Thanks.
Beth Kieler

colinrobinson

Post by colinrobinson » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:23 am

beth,

Having Attempted your solution to rollback, id like to report issues with the method that means it doesnt work correctly in our scenario. let me explain...

We are using the enhanced client in a sql2008 bids vss project for analysis services. and have a sourceControlled Analysis services project with a reasonable amount of change history both at the file and Folder level utilising labels for release control.

We deccided to attempt to rename some sourcecontrolled Objects and checked in the renamed Objects. We have now decided to rollback to a labelled version for various reasons however your Rollback option doesnt work on folders and the files in the project are inter dependent (ie the Proj file holds references to the named objects.) rendering individual file rollback impractical in this scenario.

If we use you suggestion above (check out to alternate folder and overwrite) the project gets into a mess with a large number of objects having an icon of a red cross (what does this icon actually mean) it appears on objects with the old name (the ones we need).

The Newer object which we no longer require is also listed in the project but we dont want to delete it at the moment for fear of losing History! (the whole point of Source control)

So lets say we have six cubes in our project with independent Dimensions also saved in the Project. we rename all objects and check in. then decide we need to roll back to a labelled history version. and check in this version again as the Latest version without losing history ?

Colin

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:14 am

If I have this correct, you need to roll back, but with the renames remaining intact?
Beth Kieler

colinrobinson

Post by colinrobinson » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:51 am

nope i want to lose the renaming and revert to old version exactly as it was

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:34 pm

It might work better if you backup/delete the files in your working folder first, then copy the labeled files into the working directory.

Try opening the solution in Visual Studio to make sure all is OK. You would need to use the Vault GUI Client to rename files in the repository back to the name of the labeled files. You would also delete any files that were added after the label. They will still be in source control history and can be undeleted if needed. Then once everything in the Vault Client is Edited status, check the files in.

Yes, it's rather inelegant, but until we have rollback, it's a way to do what you want.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager