An error occurred when trying to retrieve version.xml

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
dprothero

An error occurred when trying to retrieve version.xml

Post by dprothero » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:00 am

I get this error every time I start the VaultPro client:

An error occurred when trying to retrieve version.xml file from the SourceGear website

I know this is an issue with our proxy server. I can request the version.xml file just fine via browser (got the URL from another forum post), but that's because my browser is setup to auto-detect our company proxy settings.

Can you make this version check respect the system proxy settings? This seems like a bug that it doesn't do that.

Beth

Re: An error occurred when trying to retrieve version.xml

Post by Beth » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:12 am

I can log a bug against the version check. You can completely turn off the version check in the Vault Tools - Options - General - Check for latest Vault version at startup.

F: 13614
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

dprothero

Post by dprothero » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:21 am

Yeah, it's not a problem for me that I see the error. I'm only reporting it because it would be nice if the version check worked.

Might there be a log file somewhere that provide more details as to the exact nature of the failure?

My guess is that it's either just a network error (our firewall blocks direct port 80 access to the internet -- you have to go through our proxy server), or it's an authentication error against the proxy server, which I've seen in other third-party applications like DropBox, but they have a manual proxy configuration setup which works for me.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:21 pm

I'm fairly certain that our version check ignores the proxy settings and just uses Default Proxy. What might get around this is if you specifically set the proxy in Internet Explorer instead of having it detect the proxy. Our Default Proxy setting can't pick up what comes through on the detect proxy setting, but if it's specifically set, then the Default Proxy should see that setting.
Beth Kieler

dprothero

Post by dprothero » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:37 pm

I tried that and that does in fact work.

However, it is not an option for our environment. When I reboot, our network policy enforces the correct proxy settings, overwriting my manual configuration. Also, our correct proxy settings use a "WPAD" script which has some advanced logic to avoid using the proxy for certain resources. That gets broken when I manually configure the proxy in Internet Explorer.

It's fine to manually configure a single application (like DropBox or, if possible, VaultPro) as that doesn't affect my entire system and won't get overridden by our system policy.

I see there are proxy settings in the VaultPro client under Tools... Options... Network Settings. Changing that had no effect (even after restarting the client). I assume that just means it's using the proxy specified for accessing the VaultPro server, correct?

Obviously, this is not a mission critical function and I've been living without it for over a year, but I thought I'd at least explore if there's a solution.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:41 pm

I see there are proxy settings in the VaultPro client under Tools... Options... Network Settings. Changing that had no effect (even after restarting the client). I assume that just means it's using the proxy specified for accessing the VaultPro server, correct?
The version check ignores what is set in the Network Settings and only looks to the Default Proxy. The clients won't look to the Vault server for proxy information at all.
Beth Kieler