Change Lists

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Change Lists

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:08 pm

I am currently evaluating Vault and can't seem to get my head around one of the features. It seems that Vault supports ChangeSets (which is good!), however there is no way to
  • 1. See a list of change sets (ie: between labels)
    2. See what files were included in a change set
    3. Apply a change set to multiple branches
Am I missing something obvious?

ericsink

Re: Change Lists

Post by ericsink » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:16 pm

Anonymous wrote:I am currently evaluating Vault and can't seem to get my head around one of the features. It seems that Vault supports ChangeSets (which is good!), however there is no way to
  • 1. See a list of change sets (ie: between labels)
    2. See what files were included in a change set
    3. Apply a change set to multiple branches
Am I missing something obvious?
No, you are not missing anything obvious. The Vault server does store everything as change sets, each of which was committed as an atomic transaction.

However, not all of the features in Vault are oriented around the changeset concept. In most ways, Vault was designed to work like SourceSafe which supports nothing along these lines.

It is possible to see which files were included in a changeset, although it's not obvious. Use Show History, and choose the option to view by version. This will give a list of transactions. You can then see the details on each transaction and its contents.

However, your other two features are not currently present in Vault.

Another common question is whether Vault can rollback an entire changeset at one time. Unfortunately, this feature is also not currently supported.
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:55 pm

OK, fair enough. I think that ChangeSets are a very powerful feature that could be a big differentiator between VSS and Vault. You should look into adding this capability. (My opinion).