Integrating with Axosoft OnTime using Windows authentication

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
hutch619

Integrating with Axosoft OnTime using Windows authentication

Post by hutch619 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:26 pm

According to KB article KB14246 - Integration with Axosoft OnTime
At this time, the Vault Professional integration works with users configured to use OnTime authentication. Make sure anyone planning to use the integration can authenticate through OnTime directly, because an OnTime login and password will be required for configuring the integration.
Does this mean that I won't be able to integrate the two if we're using windows authentication in OnTime?

I can't get a test connection to work using my windows credentials so I tried using the credentials for my OnTime admin account but that isn't working either.

lbauer

Re: Integrating with Axosoft OnTime using Windows authentica

Post by lbauer » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:30 pm

What version of OnTime are you using?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

hutch619

Post by hutch619 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:36 pm

We're on 11

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:29 pm

We've had a couple reports of problems connecting to OnTime 2011. Our testing and integration was done with the 2009 SDK, and we're investigating what may have changed in the 2011 SDK.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

hutch619

Post by hutch619 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:36 pm

Perhaps you guys should modify your statement of how Vault Pro integrates with OnTime to something like the following:

VaultPro now has PARTIAL built-in integration with Axosoft's OnTime defect tracking.
  • integrates with OnTime's defect tracking ONLY. OnTime feature tracking and task tracking are not supported.
  • works with users configured to use OnTime authentication ONLY. Won't work if you're using Windows Integrated authentication with OnTime.
  • supported with OnTime's 2009 SDK ONLY. If you're running OnTime versions 2010 or 2011 you're SOL.
This is how it currently reads on the Vault Pro overview page:
Vault Professional offers Work Item / Bug tracking in your IDE or via your web browser. Work Item tracking and Version Control are integrated, so you'll easily see what work items are related to a checkin, and vice-versa. Customize the security to suit your team, create and save custom queries, and more. Additionally, Vault Pro now has built-in integration with Axosoft's OnTime defect tracking.
It's a bit misleading, to say the least.

I still don't get how/why the 2009 SDK of OnTime was the only version tested/integrated into VaultPro. OnTime 2010 was released in May of 2010 and VaultPro 5.1 didn't come out until December.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:32 pm

We also did testing with OnTime 2010, and that integration works.

We'll need to take a look at what's different in OnTime 2011 and get the connection working there, too.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

hutch619

Post by hutch619 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:01 pm

1) So does Vault integrate with the ontime 2009 or 2010 if windows authentication is being used in OnTime?

2) Has anyone gotten Vault to integrate with OnTime 2011 at all (like for those using Ontime authentication instead of windows)?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:26 am

Vault currently integrates with OnTime 2009 and 2010 defect tracking, using OnTime authentication. Vault does not currently support Windows Authentication with OnTime.

We have had reports of the Vault connection to OnTime 2011 not working. We are currently investigating what changed in OnTime 2011 so that we can correct this issue.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:42 pm

Users have reported authentication failures when trying to use VaultPro integration with Axosoft's new OnTime 2011 release. We discovered there were changes in the way OnTime's password hash worked.

We now have fixed this issue and have a pre-release of VaultPro Server and Client, build 5.1.2.19252, that authenticates with OnTime 2011.

If you would like this build, email support at sourcegear.com, Attn: Linda. Please include a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

hutch619

Post by hutch619 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:45 pm

Awesome! Any word on if/when Vault will be able to integrate with OnTime environments that use Windows authentication?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:35 pm

Actually, the special build you have should support Windows Authentication as well.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

hutch619

Post by hutch619 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:55 pm

Awesomer!

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:51 am

:D
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:01 pm

Vault Professional 5.1.2 should address this issue.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

hutch619

Post by hutch619 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:57 pm

I finally got around to trying out the fix you provided (5.1.2.19252). Unfortunately, I'm still unable to get the connection test to work.

I noticed that the Password box was removed which I guess makes sense if this is supposed to be using windows authentication. I don't understand how I would specify to use OnTime authentication instead if I wanted to though (I thought you said this version would support both).

One thing I should mention is that the Login ID I am specifying in the settings is NOT the same account I am actually logged in to my windows machine with. Could this be a problem? I AM logged into Vault with the same windows account that I'm specifying in the settings though. How is Vault is determining what password to use? Is it pulling from what I'm logged into Vault under or is it pulling from the account I'm logged into window as?

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that testing the OnTime server's web services DID succeed so it appears to be just an issue with the authentication.