Adding VS.NET .sln file?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

gmagana

Adding VS.NET .sln file?

Post by gmagana » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:14 am

Hello, I searched the forums but did not find a comment on this issue. Please let me know if it addressed somewhere...

I have a solution with several projects in it that I would like to add to source control (Vault 2.0). I have added one project at a time because the projects each have a different path.

So now I have to add the solution file (.sln), but I am wondering if it is possible to add it via the VS.NET IDE wihout re-adding the projects again...

Is this possible or adviseable?

Thanks.
gabriel magana-gonzalez

dan

Post by dan » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:34 am

Good question - I don't think we've run into that scenario before.

So, I just did a quick test on VS.Net 2003. I added 3 projects, all to different locations on disk (and to different folders in Vault), and then added the solution file. VS.Net complained twice when adding the solution file (something about causing earthquakes and floods throughout the world if I continue), but it did succeed and it didn't re-add the 3 other projects, and everything seems normal (we don't get earthquakes here, so I can't really tell). I added the solution file to the same folder as the first project, but that didn't seem to cause any problems.

From Vault's point of view (as opposed to VS.Net), the main issue with adding projects in different locations is to make sure they have distinct working folders.

Hope this helps.

gmagana

That did it!

Post by gmagana » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:47 am

That did it! Thank you, now I have my solution exactly as I need it to be!
gabriel magana-gonzalez

jdonnici

Post by jdonnici » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:18 pm

This thread raises a question for me... we've taken the approach of NOT having our .SLN solution files in source control. Our app is a winforms system that uses many assemblies via a plug-in architecture, so each developer is likely to have different needs (i.e. they all need the shell and common library, but different combinations of plugin assemblies).

As such, we've viewed a solution as simply a personal "container" for the projects you need for your development. Over time, you may add/remove projects to/from that solution, but it's seemed to work well because rarely does anyone need ALL the projects in their solution at once.

Is this the most reasonable way to go, or does having the solution in source control provide some benefit we're missing?

Thanks,

JD

dan

Post by dan » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:52 pm

To be honest, I'm not sure what the VS best practice is for storing solution files - I've seen people advocate for both having it in and out of source control.

Mostly, we have to worry about Vault supporting either case :)

Anyone else out there with opinions?