How to move to new SQL Server

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
Joseph

How to move to new SQL Server

Post by Joseph » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:31 am

We are using Vault on 5.0.1 on a SQL 2008 Server. Now we have to switch to a new SQL Server on WS99\SQLEXPRESS.
I restored sgmaster and sgvault to the new SQLEXPRESS. But if I want to connect with the VaultClient to the WS99\SQLEXPRESS I get "Invalid URI: The hostname could not be parsed." Without SQLEXPRESS "Unable to connect to https://ws99/VaultService"

What is missing?

Joseph

lbauer

Re: How to move to new SQL Server

Post by lbauer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:54 am

The Vault client does not connect directly to the databases. The Vault client first connects to the Vault Server, which connects to the databases.

The recommended steps are to uninstall Vault Server leaving the databases, then reinstall Vault server, pointing the installer to the new database location. Details here:

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=924

If SQL Server is on a different machine than the Vault Server, your options depend on what you want to use for your SQL authentication:

--Windows authentication -- use a custom (domain) account for the IIS process model user, then choose Windows authentication in the SQL Server setup portion of the installation.

--SQL Server authentication -- choose SQL Server authentication in the SQL Server setup portion of the installation. The installer will ask for your SQL Server SA credentials so that it can create an sgvaultuser account for Vault to use to communicate with the database.

Let me know if you have additional questions.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Joseph

Post by Joseph » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:22 am

I installed the new 5.1 Server / Client and Vault is working fine now. Thanks.
Joseph

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:29 am

Thanks for the update. That's good news. : )
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager