Merging Question

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Merging Question

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:03 pm

I am evaluating Vault and ran through a potential merge scenario and wasn't overly impressed with the way Vault handled it. As such I want to verify that I am not doing anything incorrect.

Suppose I have the following

Code: Select all

/MyProduct
   /Src
     /FeatureX
     /FeatureY
Now I want a sub-set of my developers to work on a release that won't be ready until next year the 3.0 release. (The main developers will release 2.0 in the summer and continue working on the main branch).

So I "branch" /MyProduct into /MyProduct3.0 and end up with the following

/MyProduct
   /Src
     /FeatureX
     /FeatureY

/MyProduct3.0
   /Src
     /FeatureX
     /FeatureY
Now the guys in 3.0 create a new Feature called Z so they have the following.

/MyProduct3.0
   /Src
     /FeatureX
     /FeatureY
     /FeatureZ
The fall comes along and I want to merge in the changes from the 3.0 guys work into the main branch. So I try to do a merge from 3.0 into the main branch and the merge utility complains that folder FeatureZ doesn't exist. Is this the intended behavior? Am I missing something?

dan

Post by dan » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:43 pm

This should work as you describe. In the MergeBranches operation, MyProduct3.0 would be the origin, MyProduct would be the target, and you would choose the first and last versions in MyProduct3.0 to apply changes to MyProduct.

If you didn't choose versions in MyProduct3.0 that encompass the Add FeatureZ subfolder, it won't add ProductZ to MyProduct, because that wasn't a change that happened between the versions chosen to apply changes for.

If that wasn't the problem, then we'll need to figure out why it failed for you. Perhaps the steps followed the Merge Branches wizard as a first step?

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:59 am

I did the steps you mentioned, during the Wizzard the files under the FeatureZ are highlighted in RED. If I then go and create a FeatureZ folder in the main branch it works fine.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:26 am

If the files under the added folder appear individually, then it looks like the folder add operation is not being included as part of the changes to be applied from the branch.

Can you send a screen shot of the Merge Branches wizard screen where the origin versions are being selected, and select the versions you included in the original Merge Branch operation? We need to find out if Merge Branches is not picking up the folder add operation, or if the version of the origin that created FolderX is not being selected.

Thanks,