Setup failing without any message

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
FOS

Setup failing without any message

Post by FOS » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:06 am

Hi,
I'm trying to install The Vault Professional Server on my Server with IIS and a separate SQL Server.
I start the setup, Accept the EULA and choose the 'Custom' installation because my SQL Server is on antoher machine. Then I selected the root folder. C:\inetpub\wwwroot. When I press next No further questions are asked (SQL Server, etc), the Install buttin appears.
The installation then starts and fails after some time with the message "There is a problem with this Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as excepected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor." and the installation roles back.
There is no further information why the installation failed. - missing SQL Server - Not empty IIS root folder - Version of Windows, ....
This is my configuration:
Windows WebServer 2008 SR2 64 bits
IIS Server with other apps already running (in other folders)
SQL Server on another server. (not asked for in the setup?)

Please help me

Beth

Re: Setup failing without any message

Post by Beth » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:40 am

Can you see if you have a vault_install.log under %temp%? If it's there, then you can either post it here or send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread and the log.

Next, I'll have you try installing using msiexec. Create a text file somewhere and call it msilog.txt. Then run a command line as administrator and use the following command to start up the install.

Code: Select all

msiexec /i "C:\path to the Vault installer\VaultProServer64_5_1_2_19283.msi" /l "C:\path to the text file you just made\msilog.txt"
[/size]
Once the install fails, either post or send the msilog.txt.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

FOS

Post by FOS » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:12 am

This is the last bit of the log that the setup just created: (See attachment for the whole logfile)

InstallFiles: File: Vault Professional.html, Directory: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\VaultService\Admin\Help\, Size: 1174
InstallFiles: File: vaultprohelp.html, Directory: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\VaultService\Admin\Help\, Size: 507
InstallFiles: File: vaultprologo.png, Directory: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\VaultService\Admin\Help\Images\, Size: 12310
Action 18:05:42: CreateShortcuts. Creating shortcuts
CreateShortcuts: Shortcut: controlPanelIcon.exe
Action 18:05:42: WriteRegistryValues. Writing system registry values
WriteRegistryValues: Key: \Software\SourceGear\VaultPro Server, Name: InstallDir, Value: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\
Action 18:05:42: CustomActionExe.exe.
CustomAction CustomActionExe.exe returned actual error code -532459699 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action CustomActionExe.exe, location: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\VaultService\bin\CustomActionExe.exe, command: /TARGETDIR="C:\inetpub\wwwroot\VaultService\ " /TARGETDIR2="C:\inetpub\wwwroot\VaultPro\ " /WEBDAV="C:\inetpub\wwwroot\SgDav\ " /PARAMS= /DROPDB= /UPGRADE= /ADMINPW= /SQLSERVER="" /WINAUTH=1
MSI (s) (CC:8C) [18:05:46:001]: Product: SourceGear Vault Professional Server 64-bit -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action CustomActionExe.exe, location: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\VaultService\bin\CustomActionExe.exe, command: /TARGETDIR="C:\inetpub\wwwroot\VaultService\ " /TARGETDIR2="C:\inetpub\wwwroot\VaultPro\ " /WEBDAV="C:\inetpub\wwwroot\SgDav\ " /PARAMS= /DROPDB= /UPGRADE= /ADMINPW= /SQLSERVER="" /WINAUTH=1

Action ended 18:05:46: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
Action 18:05:46: Rollback. Rolling back action:
1: CustomActionExe.exe
1: Writing system registry values
1: Creating shortcuts
1: Copying new files
1: Creating folders
1: Removing ODBC components
1: Updating component registration
Action ended 18:05:48: INSTALL. Return value 3.
Action ended 18:05:48: ExecuteAction. Return value 3.
Action 18:05:48: FatalError.
Action start 18:05:48: FatalError.
DEBUG: Error 2826: Control BottomLine on dialog FatalError extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 3 pixels
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2826. The arguments are: FatalError, BottomLine, to the right
Action 18:05:48: FatalError. Dialog created
Action ended 18:05:50: FatalError. Return value 2.
Action ended 18:05:50: INSTALL. Return value 3.
=== Logging stopped: September 2011 18:05:50 ===
MSI (c) (60:50) [18:05:50:516]: Product: SourceGear Vault Professional Server 64-bit -- Installation failed.

MSI (c) (60:50) [18:05:50:516]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: SourceGear Vault Professional Server 64-bit. Product Version: 5.1.2.19283. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: SourceGear. Installation success or error status: 1603.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:06 pm

Check to see if you have an installer folder under c:\windows\. If so, clear out the .msi from there.

Verify that you have full control permissions in NTFS for the following folders:
%windir%\temp
%windir%\installer
%temp%

Re-register vbscript by running regsvr32 vbscript.dll.
Beth Kieler

FOS

Post by FOS » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:37 am

I cleared the installer folder and reregistered the vbscript.dll
I'm logged on as an administrator and during the setup I see the UAC message, so the rights should be ok...
Setup started once again - same problem.
When I open a command window with elevated rights (UAC) and then use msiexec /i I see this messgae (attachment)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:31 am

Are you using the 64-bit Vault installer?

Do you have the 64-bit of the 2.0 .NET framework installed?

Even though you are running as admin, it's possible for some permissions to not be right on a machine due to either network level settings or an alteration happening in the past. You might try specifically adding your account to have access to those folders I mentioned earlier temporarily. Also, while you are giving permissions, you might also check on or set permissions for %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys .
Beth Kieler

FOS

Post by FOS » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:17 am

I was using the 64 bit setup. Your question started me to think the problem might be that my already installed IIS websites where 32-bit. So I tried the 32-bit Vault setup and it worked immediately!
Only my other sites stopped working, so finally I installed Vault on a separate server, now using the 64 bit version again - no problems this time in the setup because it was a clean IIS...

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:52 am

Thank you for the update.
Beth Kieler