Command-line clients

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

jschuit

Command-line clients

Post by jschuit » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:23 pm

Vault v5.1.2

Performing a GETVERSION of one specific file to a non-working folder using the command-line client takes about 11 seconds.
Performing the same GETVERSION of the same specific file to the same non-working folder using the JAVA command-line client takes about 2.5 minutes. Repeatably. Using a Win32 or a Linux system. Is this expected? I was expecting some overhead with loading the VM, but not this much. Does it have something to do with local cache? ..and is there anything I can do to speed this up?

Thanks!

Beth

Re: Command-line clients

Post by Beth » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:46 pm

I haven't heard of this before. Are you testing both on the same machine?

Did you try the Vault command-line client on a Linux machine using .mono?

Which OS is on a VM?
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

jschuit

Post by jschuit » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:05 pm

I ran the .NET Vault command-line client and the Java command-line client on the same WinXP machine. I first noticed the time delay while using the Java command-line client on a different machine running the latest Ubuntu.

I did not try running the .NET client under .mono, is that pretty straight forward to do?

I was referring to the Java VM, not an OS running in a virtual machine...sorry for the confusion.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:34 pm

We have a KB article on running with .mono posted here: http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=157. Check it out and see if you get better results.
Beth Kieler

jschuit

Post by jschuit » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:24 am

I'm getting an error when trying to execute vault.exe from the ClientAPI archive:

mono --version
Mono JIT compiler version 2.10.5 (Debian 2.10.5-1)
Copyright (C) 2002-2011 Novell, Inc, Xamarin, Inc and Contributors. http://www.mono-project.com
TLS: __thread
SIGSEGV: altstack
Notifications: epoll
Architecture: x86
Disabled: none
Misc: softdebug
LLVM: supported, not enabled.
GC: Included Boehm (with typed GC and Parallel Mark)

mono vault.exe help
Unhandled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for VaultClientIntegrationLib.ServerOperations ---> System.TypeLoadException: A type load exception has occurred.
at VaultClientIntegrationLib.ClientConnection..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VaultClientIntegrationLib.ServerOperations..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at VaultCmdLineClient.VaultCmdLineClient..ctor (VaultCmdLineClient.Args args, System.Xml.XmlWriter xml) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VaultCmdLineClient.VaultCmdLineClient.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for VaultClientIntegrationLib.ServerOperations ---> System.TypeLoadException: A type load exception has occurred.
at VaultClientIntegrationLib.ClientConnection..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VaultClientIntegrationLib.ServerOperations..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at VaultCmdLineClient.VaultCmdLineClient..ctor (VaultCmdLineClient.Args args, System.Xml.XmlWriter xml) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at VaultCmdLineClient.VaultCmdLineClient.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I'm not familiar with mono, any help would be appreciated...Thanks!

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:57 pm

I've verified that the Java CLC is slower than the .NET CLC, due to some overhead, but I'm not sure by how much. 11 seconds versus 2.5 minutes does seem excessive. You might find that different machines perform differently with the Java CLC.

On the .mono error, can you check to see if the VaultClientIntegrationLib is present?
Beth Kieler

jschuit

Post by jschuit » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:29 pm

Thanks Beth... Yes, all the DLLs from the ClientAPI archive are present.

I ran the mono migration analyzer on the binaries and there were a few methods in use that are not supported. I'll try attaching the report output. (I couldn't attach the MHT file, so I renamed it .TXT.... rename it back to view)
Attachments
MoMA Scan Results Vault CLC.txt
Rename to *.mht
(15.06 KiB) Downloaded 310 times

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:10 pm

The .mono issue is going to take more research.

Back on your original issue, you might try increasing the Java memory limit to see if that helps. Here's a bit more information that may help:
http://www.duckware.com/pmvr/howtoincre ... emory.html
http://web.iress.com.au/help/Felix%202. ... onment.htm
http://performance.netbeans.org/howto/jvmswitches/
Beth Kieler