Issue with checking in/out using .NET

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

juice

Issue with checking in/out using .NET

Post by juice » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:00 am

When I check in my solution under .NET, only the Solution tab will have the lock symbol, rest of my files (aspx, cs, etc) still has the Check marked on them.

With the solution checked in, the menu still has the options of (checking in, check out, show pending, etc)

I tried checking in each file individually, still shows the check mark.

I tried rechecking in/out, still doesn't work.

Any ideas?

dan

Post by dan » Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:07 am

There is an option in Visual Studio that automatically checks the file out after it is checked in, so you might want to verify that.

Another thing to check is wehther the file really is checked out in Vault. Invoke the Vault client and verify whether the file got checked in or not.

Are there any messages in the Visual Studio messages tab that says whether the checkin worked?

juice

Post by juice » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:20 am

When the file is checked in:
The vault shows the files are checked in. Under .NET, each file still have the check mark right next to it, and if you right click on the file, it has the option of 'check in', 'undo checkout' etc. The only piece that has the lock is the solution tab. Nothing I do can "completely check the file in.

When the file is checked out:
The only file showing checked out under vault is the .sln and .vssscc file.
Under .NET, everything seems to be checked out.

For each file when I try to check in.
"[9/28/2004 9:20:01 AM] Undoing check out of file $/CreatePDF/Web.config
---- Operation completed successfully at time 9:20:01 AM ----"

juice

Post by juice » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:28 am

Here's something that might help anyone solve my problem. When I try to check out the file in vault, it give me this message.

"Check out failed for $/CreatePDF/Global.asax: The file has been exclusively locked."

This file was checked in using the same machine

dan

Post by dan » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:47 am

In the Vault GUI client, do a refresh before checking the status of the file - it may be that the file is really checked out at the present moment, but the client doesn't reflect the current state because it isn't refreshed. Exiting and re-entering the client will also get the most recent status from the server.

Are the files that are still checked out in the IDE ones that did not actually change? That might be a clue.

Also, check the file read-write status. The IDE will sometimes mark a file as checked out if it is currently read-write, instead of read-only. See if that correlates with what you are seeing.

juice

Post by juice » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:53 pm

After refreshing, still the same problem.

I think I might know why the vault is acting weird.
The vault is not resetting after checking in. If I check out, it appears that I have check out some of the files twice.(under the colum 'Check Outs', it reads "myname, myname") But for those files with (Exclusive), It has this error "Check out failed for $/CreatePDF/Global.asax: The file has been exclusively locked."

How is it possible that I check out the same files twice?

I can not seems to reset them where as no one has checked them out.

juice

Post by juice » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:57 pm

I found another user who accidently checked out those files. It appears that my info was saved on that person's computer.

dan

Post by dan » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:15 pm

So, after undoing the checkout on the other machine, is everything back to normal?

juice

Post by juice » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:45 am

Everything is fine now.

Here is a suggestion, If the same user try to checkout the same files twice, wouldn't it be nice to warn that user on the second time?

GregM

Post by GregM » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:52 am

juice wrote:Everything is fine now.

Here is a suggestion, If the same user try to checkout the same files twice, wouldn't it be nice to warn that user on the second time?
It does, or at least, it has every time I've done this.