Problems with the CruiseControl plugin

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
JeffM

Problems with the CruiseControl plugin

Post by JeffM » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:00 am

We are having a strange problems with this plugin. We are using deleteItemsThatAreNotInTheRepository="true" and cleanCopy="false" settings in our <vaultproplugin> source control block, but it does not seem to be working as expected. What we are seeing is that every time CruiseControl launched the build, the entire working folder is deleted and fetched from vault.

We are using the multi sourcecontrol block so we can update 4 different folders that do not have a common parent folder and the only difference between the blocks is the <folder> element. Only 1 of the folders is experiencing the problem above.

The fact that it was deleting the working folders and getting them fresh was annoying, but it was not causing problems, only wasting time. Monday (11/19), we starting having a separate issue where one of the subfolders is not being downloaded from vault with the rest of the files. The most recent change to that folder was rolling back 2 files. We rollback files all the time, and we have never seen this problem happen. Now this is really causing us grief because our nant build scripts expect the code to exist when it comes time to compile. As a work-around, we can launch the build from our workstations, and then RDP into our build server and manually get latest before the nant script needs those files, but we cannot do this forever.

I tried switching back to the vault source provider that ships with CruiseControl, but that did not make a difference, which leads me to believe the problem is with Vault itself. The vault GUI shows the files as missing, and I can get latest manually without problems. We have had issues with this folder in the past, and we had to open a support ticket regarding it, but that was several years ago. From what I recall, the issue we had in the past happened because we originally migrating over from SourceSafe and one of the Vault upgrades we performed later did not go as planned.

I also tried to delete the vault cache on our build server and clear out the working folders. I then got latest of the entire working folder (about 50,000 files in all). This took about 4 hours to complete and did not make any difference.

To summarize, I would like to figure out the 2 problems I mentioned. First off, why is the CruiseControl plugin that you provide clearing out our working folders for our one specific folder (and all subfolders), but not for others? Secondly, why is vault completely ignoring one of the subfolders when getting the latest code?

Please let me know what other information I need to supply.

Thanks,

Jeff

lbauer

Re: Problems with the CruiseControl plugin

Post by lbauer » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:42 pm

What version of Vault are you using?

What version of Cruise Control are you using?

Did this Vault/Cruise Control combination work as expected prior to this current issue?

Has anything changed in your Vault configuration?
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

JeffM

Post by JeffM » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:54 am

lbauer wrote:What version of Vault are you using?
lbauer wrote:What version of Cruise Control are you using?
lbauer wrote:Did this Vault/Cruise Control combination work as expected prior to this current issue?
I am not sure when CriuiseControl started to delete the entire working folders, but the problem with it not fetching a specific folder just started happening last week. We have been using the current CruiseControl project configuration for about 2 years now.
lbauer wrote:Has anything changed in your Vault configuration?
We periodically adjust users, repository access, and folder security when people join or leave the company.

Thanks,

Jeff

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:05 am

We'd like to see a copy of the Vault Server log from the time period that covers the failed subfolder get. It's called sgvault.log and is in %windir%\temp\sgvault on the server machine.

Also send any Cruise Control logs for that time period, and check the Event Viewer on the Vault Server machine to see if there are any relevant errors.

Send the logs zipped up to support at sourcegear.com, ATTN: Linda.

Please include a link to this forum post.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

JeffM

Post by JeffM » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:21 am

I have sent an email like you asked. I am not able to reproduce the 2nd problem, I have changed the cc project to use the built in vault sourcecontrol task, and CC did not delete the working folders for that particular project. The attached log in the email is for a different project that is still configured to use the vaultproplugin sourcecontrol task.

I can switch the original project back to using the plugin if necessary.

Jeff