Vault Database/Repository Questions

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Don Thimsen

Vault Database/Repository Questions

Post by Don Thimsen » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:50 pm

We've been a Vault customer since version 2 came out, and have stuck with the default repository. We are now running version 5.1.2.19281. The repository contains about a dozen different software products, and each product has gone through 4-5 version changes. There are a LOT of projects displayed on the left menu pane in the Vault client, and it's becoming a hassle to use.

At one point, we tried creating an archive repository and migrating projects. That didn't work out - we found that projects don't migrate easily.

We do want to keep all the old releases around with all the change history intact.

Also, we have no problems with Vault performance.

Q1) Is there a way to hide/suppress items in the project tree, but be able to restore hidden projects at a later time? In almost all cases, I could safely hide about 95% of all the projects in my current tree.

Q2) If I can't hide projects, do you have any suggestions on making this more manageable? I thought about creating a "archive" project and then dragging all the old projects into it.

I guess I'm asking "What does Sourcegear do"? By now you should have the same issues we deal with. Or maybe you used a different development philosophy and created repositories for each product release?

Just curious...

Thanks,
Don

Beth

Re: Vault Database/Repository Questions

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:08 pm

If you use the Delete option the items deleted will be hidden in the tree, but they are still in the database. You can undelete them at a later time.

We have a different repository for each product, but not for each release. We use a combination of branches and labeling. New feature releases get a branch, and other releases are just labeled.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support