How can I see what it failed to do?!

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Mordachai

How can I see what it failed to do?!

Post by Mordachai » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:54 pm

Okay - doing a branch of our source base, and other being fast, I'm having major problems with the software. But it is fast.

After branching the main trunk, and doing a get latest, then making a few changes, I ended up with VisualStudio becoming confused about some of the bindings. This forced me to use offline mode for a while.

Then I finished fixing stuff and am trying to put it all back.

But Vault doesn't have any quick & easy way that I have discovered (please tell there is one!) to show me all of the files that are renegade / or otherwise status != up-to-date.

Doing a get latest on the trunk stupidly errors for several files, but fails to give me a list of what files failed (Messages shows success, not failures).

So I have taken to opening two copies of Vault just so each time one errors, I can use the other to manually navigate to the offending file and fix it.

Pending Change Set is useless - as it fails to tell me *really* what is at odds with the server. No, really. I need to know what isn't up-to-date. Not some fantasy or half-truth.

Having Vault fail to update files (because it has a hair up its wazoo or who the hell knows why) and no basic mechanism like VSS had (read-only = update) makes for a senseless amount of frustration. Can't update the file, and can't tell what files need to be updated but failed, can't tell what files are rogue, ....

Sorry for the frustration, but this sucks. VSS had endless issues - just different ones. So far Vault is fast and smarter about some stuff, but un-arguably stupider and harder to use for some stuff that VSS just got right.

So:

1. How do I get a list of what failed to get-latest?
2. How do I get an up to date list of what is out-of-sync?

lbauer

Re: How can I see what it failed to do?!

Post by lbauer » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:44 pm

But Vault doesn't have any quick & easy way that I have discovered (please tell there is one!) to show me all of the files that are renegade / or otherwise status != up-to-date.
You can use the Search function in the Vault GUI Client. This is in a tab at the bottom of the client. If you're using Vault 7, you may need to enable it under the View menu.

You can select a folder in the repository tree, then search on file status, file name, etc.
Doing a get latest on the trunk stupidly errors for several files, but fails to give me a list of what files failed (Messages shows success, not failures).
There should be a failure message in the Messages Pane. If there are no error messages, where are you seeing the failure? Is there an error message somewhere besides the Messages pane?
Having Vault fail to update files (because it has a hair up its wazoo or who the hell knows why) and no basic mechanism like VSS had (read-only = update) makes for a senseless amount of frustration.

AFAIK, Vault doesn't have a wazoo. It's a windows app. :wink:
Attachments
Search.png
Search.png (101.42 KiB) Viewed 6405 times
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Mordachai

Post by Mordachai » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:25 am

I "see" the failures as individual pop-up modal dialog boxes, each one has to be addressed, in sequence.

No, no message appears in the Messages tab at any point (Only things like Getting latest version of $/..., and then various Fetched $/..., and capped by Finished get latest of $/... - but no "failed to update" or "X is renegade, skipping, etc.)

It seems to me that there ought to be an option to not-show me a message box on every single failure, and instead just list those to the messages tab, where I can deal with them on my time-table, instead of interrupting everything and modal-izing the vault client which of course means I haven't got a tool to correct the situation or investigate the problem, because the tool is modalized and stuck on this limited interaction model over the one-failure.

Feature request:

On failure to automatically comply with operation, just list to messages tab - do not show dialog box.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:58 pm

They're not in the Messages because they're not considered as failures by Vault. It's skipping over locally modifiied files.

There is an option in the GET dialog to "Prompt for modified files." If you uncheck that, you won't get the dialog.

Then you can use the Search to see what is still Renegade or other status.
Attachments
GET.PNG
GET.PNG (18.74 KiB) Viewed 6374 times
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Mordachai

Post by Mordachai » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:49 pm

Excellent - I'll turn off the message boxes.

But, then I'd like to ask for a feature request:

"Option to show all skipped / not-merged / not-get-latest'd files in messages"

Considering the skipped ones not-an-error is fine - but I still would find it immeasurably more useful to know which ones those were than to not know. And every time I do a get-latest, not just if I go searching for them.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:42 pm

I've logged feature 17483 request for this functionality.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Linda Bauer
SourceGear