Best procedure for moving Working Folder

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

rklaassen

Best procedure for moving Working Folder

Post by rklaassen » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:27 pm

I want to move an entire solution from my Visual Studio 2012\Projects folder to Visual Studio 2013\Projects folder. What is the best procedure to move the Files/Working folder so that Vault will work correctly.

Ray.

lbauer

Re: Best procedure for moving Working Folder

Post by lbauer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:21 pm

The quick answer would be to login with the Vault GUI Client, find the project in the repository tree, right-click on the top level folder and choose Set Working Folder.

Set the working folder to the desired path, then do a GET latest. You should be able to open the project from the .sln file in the new working folder.

This assumes you're using the Vault Enhanced Integration Client.

If this doesn't work, let me know.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

rklaassen

Post by rklaassen » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:09 am

I got side tracked and didn't test this until now. I have just the Vault Standard client which I should have guessed wouldn't work right based on you comment when I tried your instructions.

How do I get the client with the Enhanced Integration with Visual Studio you referred to - I only see one client download which is what I installed?
Ray

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:06 am

The working folder steps I described about would be done with your Vault Standard Windows Client.

The Vault Visual Studio Enhanced Client is one of the plugins available in Visual Studio for source control integration with Vault. With the Enhanced Client integration, projects can be more easily moved. You can check to see what plugin you're using by looking in Visual Studio under Tools->Options->Source Control-> Plugin Selection.

If you're using Classic Client integration, let me know; the steps will be different.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

rklaassen

Post by rklaassen » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:51 am

All of my existing solutions in Visual Studio show the plug-in as SourceGear Vault Standard Classic Client. So I will need the instructions for that client.

Is the enhanced client available to me with my Vault Standard license? If yes, is there a conversion/upgrade procedure or would it be just for newly created solutions?

Thank you for your help.
Ray

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:05 pm

In the Vault GUI Client, set the new working folder for your project and click the checkbox "Force all subfolders to use inherited working folder."

Do a Get Latest from the Vault Client to populate the new working folder.

Try to open the project in Visual Studio. You will get an error message that the project's binding information can not be found and the project will be treated as not under source control.

Another message will ask if you want to work uncontrolled or permanently remove source control binding.

Choose to temporarily work uncontrolled.

Then in Visual Studio under File->Source Control, select Change Source Control.

In the Change Source Control dialog, click Bind. You'll get a login to the server. Select the repository and browse to the folder in the repository that has your solution file. Select the folder in the repository and click OK.

You should now see valid bindings. Do the same for the project files.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear