Questions after Vault Standard 5.1.2 to 8.0.1 upgrade

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

Don Thimsen

Questions after Vault Standard 5.1.2 to 8.0.1 upgrade

Post by Don Thimsen » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:36 am

I performed the upgrade last weekend. No problems with the upgrade, but I now have a few questions:

Q1) I noticed in the "new" client GUI that there is now a tab with the repository name. Does this imply that multiple repositories can be open, or are all the available repositories listed and only one open at a time? Or is there always just one tab that shows the current open repository? We currently have only one repository...

Q2) Our one repository is now loaded with old projects. About a year ago, I tried to migrate off the "current" projects to a new repository, but the migration was not allowed by Vault. So, I'm thinking about plan B... just freezing the old repository, and creating smaller more "targeted" repositories. That way we'd still have all the history information in the old repository, but the new one would start with all modules at version 1.

First off, is there an easy way to mark an entire repository as Read-Only? I'm guessing that I have to enable Folder Security, and then manage projects using the Vault admin interface. Just wondering if there is a more global option.

Also, if I do change the original repository to read-only, and the new repository that contains the same "current" projects, can they share the same working folders? Shadows folders?

Thanks,
Don

Beth

Re: Questions after Vault Standard 5.1.2 to 8.0.1 upgrade

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:25 am

Q1) I noticed in the "new" client GUI that there is now a tab with the repository name. Does this imply that multiple repositories can be open, or are all the available repositories listed and only one open at a time? Or is there always just one tab that shows the current open repository? We currently have only one repository...
You can only open one repository at a time.
Q2) Our one repository is now loaded with old projects. About a year ago, I tried to migrate off the "current" projects to a new repository, but the migration was not allowed by Vault. So, I'm thinking about plan B... just freezing the old repository, and creating smaller more "targeted" repositories. That way we'd still have all the history information in the old repository, but the new one would start with all modules at version 1.
Did you have obliterates in your original repository? There is nothing wrong with starting a new repository with the latest code, but we don't have a way to change the version numbers that show. You might want to place a label on your code after doing this.

I am not seeing where we discussed using the Vault Folder Export Import tool. Had you spoken to support in the past about moving the code?
First off, is there an easy way to mark an entire repository as Read-Only? I'm guessing that I have to enable Folder Security, and then manage projects using the Vault admin interface. Just wondering if there is a more global option.
Your guess is correct. You could turn on Folder Security, create a group and give that group read only access at $, then add all your users to that group.
Also, if I do change the original repository to read-only, and the new repository that contains the same "current" projects, can they share the same working folders? Shadows folders?
The working folders can be set to the same location, and you can reuse your current shadow folder location. I would recommend removing the old shadow folder for the read-only repository.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

Don Thimsen

Post by Don Thimsen » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:41 pm

>>You can only open one repository at a time.<<
Will the GUI list all the available repositories?

>>Did you have obliterates in your original repository?<<
Yes... I assume I was using the Vault Folder Export Import tool to attempt the move, and it quit when encountering projects that contained obliterates. Maybe I should look into this again. I stopped doing obliterates years ago after discovering they messed up export/import. I doubt any of our current projects contain any obliterates.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:45 pm

Will the GUI list all the available repositories?
You can view the list of repositories either during the login process when you first open Vault, or by going to File - Choose Repository.

Obliterates would still be a problem. Just checking.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support