How to aviod CreateFolder "Miscellaneous Files"

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

kl-baerchen

How to aviod CreateFolder "Miscellaneous Files"

Post by kl-baerchen » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:49 am

Hello,

we are using Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 with Vault Enhanced Client 9.1.0.
Now when we work in our solution and open a file from outside the solution we get the following entries in Pending Change Set:
  1. Create Folder "Miscellaneous Files" parallel to Solution Folder
  2. Add File "_sfi_<UUID>_.<FileExt>" from Roaming Folder
How can we avoid such entries? We don't want to check in this files.

Thank you for help.
Markus

Beth

Re: How to aviod CreateFolder "Miscellaneous Files"

Post by Beth » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:07 pm

This is taking me a bit longer than expected to check. I believe you can right-click the files and select Exclude From Source Control, but I wanted to make sure it would be there with your scenario.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

kl-baerchen

Post by kl-baerchen » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:04 am

Hello Beth,

there is another Problem. When we open a cpp (in VS2015) from another Solution and Close it, vault delete this file from disk and add this file to "Pending Change set" with type "Delete File"!
This ist not what we want. Our Product Repository contains few Solutions. Some of them contain Base Libs for the others. Now when we Debug it is possible, that VS2015 opens a file from another solution and after closing this file vault delete it. This "Feature" is very annyoing. Is there a possibility to Change this behaviour? We urgently need a solution.

Best regards
Markus

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:04 pm

If the file was already in Vault, and you exclude it, then Vault will delete it from the source code control. There is an option to delete it from disk as well though, and that may have been turned on. Undo the operation in your pending change set. Then go to Tools - Options - Source Code Control - Vault Professional Options - Advanced Options - Local files. Uncheck the option to perform file deletes in working folders.
Beth Kieler

kl-baerchen

Post by kl-baerchen » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:34 am

Wy does only closing a file an exclude? When undoing deletion in vault, this file should revert. But vault don't do that. Ok, unchecking this Option ("perform file deletes in working Folders") work for this second Problem. Thanks.

The first one, when creating Folder "Miscellanous Files" with adding Files "_sfi_<UUID>_.<ext>" still exists. Ist very irritating. What is to do here?

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:02 am

Closing a file is not an exclude.

Are you trying to add a folder, or are you creating the folder, checking in that folder, and then adding the files and checking those in?

As long as you have an item in the pending change set with an Add command, it is not a permanent part of the project.

Feel free to email me directly (support at sourcegear.com) with some screenshots or you can call the support line.
Beth Kieler

kl-baerchen

Post by kl-baerchen » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:55 am

Yes, we know that closing a file is not an exclude. But Vault VS Integration seems to work so.

I try to explain our Scenario and the Problems we have.

Our Repository contains many Visual Studio Solutions in different Folders.
Repository Structure.jpg
Repository Structure
Repository Structure.jpg (26.37 KiB) Viewed 15734 times
For every Main-Solution we have an Workspace Folder which contains the SLN-File. For Example under $\Aktuell\Shared\Workspace\Shared.sln. All Projects from this Solution are in $\Aktuell\Shared\Src\<ProjectName>. Here are also the sources (cpp, h,..).

Now when working with this Solution the pending Change set Looks like this:
Pending Change Set - Before Working.png
Pending Changs Set - "Before working"
Pending Change Set - Before Working.png (6.14 KiB) Viewed 15734 times
After open a cpp from another Solution from this repository (for ex. $\Aktuell\SharedOut\Src\mbOut\BSAttributes.cpp) all looks good. But when i want to Close this file i get the following Dialog:
Files Removed from Project.png
Closing File from another solution under Source Control
Files Removed from Project.png (17.91 KiB) Viewed 15734 times
I only want to Close this file. It is not removed from Project, because it isn't part of any Project of the current solution!

After another Open - Close File i found this in Vault Client:
Open Close File.png
Open - Close File
Open Close File.png (16.59 KiB) Viewed 15734 times
At this time the File (Ausgabe2DStuetzeBem.cpp) locally is deleted and Undoing don't bring it back.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:55 am

Close Visual Studio entirely. Then in the Vault GUI client, right-click just the delete operation and select Undo.

Is the delete operation then removed from Vault?

Do you see the item in the Vault tree? If so, then open Visual Studio and try to commit from there. Do you get the operation again?
Beth Kieler

kl-baerchen

Post by kl-baerchen » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:25 am

Close Visual Studio entirely. Then in the Vault GUI client, right-click just the delete operation and select Undo.

Is the delete operation then removed from Vault?
Yes, it is removed from Vault
Do you see the item in the Vault tree?
Yes.
If so, then open Visual Studio and try to commit from there. Do you get the operation again?
The delete operations are not shown in VS2015 "Pending Change Set" Tab, only in the Vault GUI Client.

After Reopening the Solution i get the same Operations shown in the GUI Client. Create Folder "Miscellaneous Files" and Add File "_sfi_315ff92a-5ba8-4240-a92a-6eb0de02c6d1_.vcxproj". These are also shown in VS2015 "Pending Change Set".
After Closing a file which was opened when i reload the solution in VS2015 i get a "Delete File" Operation shown only in the Vault GUI Client! This File does not belong to the opened solution but to another solution under Source Control and should not been removed from any solution.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:16 am

Open a web browser and go to http://<your Vault server>/vaultservice/vaultweb and login. On the Source Code tab, select your repository in the drop down and browse to where the file that it has been trying to delete. Do you see it in that tree in the web client?

What looking in the web client will tell me is if someone else is trying to delete the file. If it exists in the web client, then I know the issue is only on your machine.

If the file is in the web client, then next I'll have you rename your client-side cache. Close Vault, Visual Studio, and any other program you may have Vault tied to. Then browse to C:\Users\<your user name>\appdata\local\Sourcegear and rename the folder Vault_1 to Vault_old.

Now open Visual Studio and the project, but don't open the Vault client. It may ask to be connected to the location in Vault again, but that's ok. Once you have Visual Studio open, can you close the file you were having problems with?
Beth Kieler

kl-baerchen

Post by kl-baerchen » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:16 am

Yes, i can:
Deleted File.png
Deleted File.png (83.46 KiB) Viewed 15707 times
The Issue exists on almost every developer machine in our Team.

I can not open the file, because it does not exist on my machine. I think it is deleted, thats what the vault client is indicating (before i closed him).

kl-baerchen

Post by kl-baerchen » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:05 am

After Restoring the File, closing all Vault tied on apps, then deleting Folder Vault_1.

Now restarting VS2015 and rebinding all Projects to Vault. After that when opening a File from outside the Solution VS2015 ask me for a Location for a new Project:
ReOpen File 1.png
ReOpen File 1.png (7.23 KiB) Viewed 15707 times
But i don't want to add a Project for this file, it is in another Project always check in to vault.
After closing that file, it is not deleted from disk.

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:09 pm

Something can't be right with the bindings. If there are things outside the scope of the solution or project files, then they can't be all bound at once. I think taking a closer would would really help. Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread?
Beth Kieler

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:20 am

As an update to this issue, the problem did not appear to be with the bindings. The issue is that when a current solution is open, if the user would open a file that had no relation to the solution using the File - Recent Files links, the item would be pended for an add to the currently open solution.

What appears to have solved the issue was deleting the following three files from the Vault client-side cache.

cachemember_changesetitems
cachemember_knownchanges
cachemember_pendinglocaldeletions
Beth Kieler

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:24 pm

Based on what you posted here, http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22778, I'm assuming you still have the issue? Is that correct?

If so, then did you by any chance ever install Visual Assist?

Could you create a small dummy sample project and add it to our Vault Standard demo or Pro demo server? The server is vaultprodemo.sourcegear.com for Pro and vaultdemo.sourcegear.com for Vault Standard. You can login with any guest[1-10] account and match the password. For example, if you login as guest4, your password will be guest4.

Do users perform the Open from Source Control (or Open from Vault) action more than once on a solution? Once something is bound, you then use either the shortcuts for recent solutions or open the .sln from disk instead of another Open from Source Control.
Beth Kieler