Error Accessing Source Control System - Bindings Issue

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

robincurry

Error Accessing Source Control System - Bindings Issue

Post by robincurry » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:19 pm

Hi,

I am trying to open a solution through VS.NET using the Open from Source Control menu option. This is a solution that was created in the past couple of days from a different computer using VS.NET VSS Integration (using my user account) with VSS V6.0c.

When I try to open the solution on a different machine using SOS integration (4.0.2), I get the following error:

An error occurred when you attempted to access the source control system. Check your solution's source control bindings.

Another user that is using SOS to access this same solution is not having issues, so I feel like it must be related to my user account or my machine in some way. I have tried deleting all the source safe related files on my machine, and I've tried replacing my vss user ss.ini file with a new copy.

We just recently upgraded from 3.5 and thought that we would have less issues with this kind of stuff.

Any other suggestions?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:26 pm

Have you seen this KB article about binding a solution to both VSS and SOS?

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=1149

If you still experience difficulty after following the suggestions, contact me via email at Linda at Sourcegear.com
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

robincurry

Post by robincurry » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:30 pm

Thanks for responding, Linda.

I tried the solution in that KB and it did not resolve the issue.

As I mentioned in my original post, the solution was built using integrated VSS v6.0c, and I'm trying to open it using SOS 4.0.2. In addition, the vss files in source safe appear to correctly have the SAK reference, and the solutions are being used fine by another member of my team using SOS. - so it appears to be somehow related to my user account or remote machine.

I did find one thing that seems to work - if I open the solution on my second machine (the remote machine) using integrated VSS first, close, and then switch to SOS again, I'm able to get it loaded. But if I open the solution on the 1st machine again using integrated VSS, I have to do this procedure again on the remote machine. I can keep doing this as a workaround for now, but with quite a few solutions that I'm managing, and considering that it can take hours to load any one of them on my remote machine using integrated vss, this isn't desirable - so if you can come up with something else that might work, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

corey

Post by corey » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:05 am

robincurry wrote: I did find one thing that seems to work - if I open the solution on my second machine (the remote machine) using integrated VSS first, close, and then switch to SOS again, I'm able to get it loaded. But if I open the solution on the 1st machine again using integrated VSS, I have to do this procedure again on the remote machine.
Are you just opening the solution on the 1st machine, or are you checking in changes to the solution and/or project files? Simply opening a solution on one machine should have no effect on another machine unless there are changes to the project being checked into source control.
Corey Steffen
SourceGear LLC

brhoads

Error Accessing Source Control System

Post by brhoads » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:26 am

I am experiencing this same issue with one of our remote developers. I can do 'open from source control' via Visual Studio (VS) with SOS as the SCC but when she tries to do so against the same VS solution, she receives this error message. Haven't tried having her do so with SourceSafe (SS) as the SCC and then doing the same with SOS as the SCC so I don't know if that is true. She is accessing our network over VPN, if this makes any difference.