import into Item Tracking

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
tficken2

import into Item Tracking

Post by tficken2 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:48 pm

Hello,

We currently use Vault Standard and are considering upgrading to Vault Professional because our current defect tracking system is no longer supported. What are our options for importing the data from our existing defect tracking system into Vault Professional (if any)? Thank you!

Tara

Beth

Re: import into Item Tracking

Post by Beth » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:01 pm

We don't have any automatic tools available, but we do have our Client API which you could use to write something that could go between the two and pull over necessary data. The Client API is posted on our downloads page for each version. Inside the download is the documentation for the API. For examples check out our API development forum: viewforum.php?f=39.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

tficken2

Post by tficken2 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:09 am

OK, I think that will work. Thank you!

A few more questions please? (I'm poking around in the web client demo, but that isn't what we will be using.) I'm looking at this from a testing point of view, with Item Tracking being my new defect tracking software.

1) Can I paste a screenshot directly into Item Tracking, or must I always save it to a file and then attach?

2) It looks like each user can pick and choose how he wishes wish to receive emails. As the admin, I want to control the idea that each time an Item is assigned to someone, he gets an email. In other words, he can't opt out of that. Is that possible?

3) As the admin, I want to get notified if a user closes an Item. Is that possible? (Alternatively, if I can make it so that Closing/Resolving an Item is not allowed for certain users, that would work too.)

4) Can I email an Item (all attachments included) to someone outside of the Vault world?

Thank you!

Tara

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:24 pm

1) In the Vault GUI client work item tracking, there is a button called Add From Clipboard. In that case you could just copy, and use that button. In the web client, you need to use the attachment button. If you want it to appear inline to the ticket, you can use the Use Html check box and create a link to the attachment.

2) There isn't a way currently to prevent users from changing their settings. There are ways to set the settings, but the users could still change them.

3) It's not possible to prevent closing a work item, but you can receive a notification (in email or in the Vault application) when a user closes a work item.

4) This currently isn't possible, but I can add a feature request. Could you describe further how you envision this looking or working?
Beth Kieler

tficken2

Post by tficken2 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:41 am

Hi! Sorry it took me so long to get back to this. We're gearing up to start importing soon. With respect to #4:

In our current defect tracking software, I have an email button. Pressing the button takes all of the relevant info in current issue and plops it into an email. Any attachments are attached to the email. I can then send that email to say, a 3rd party software company who doesn't have access to our Vault Work Items.

The only alternative I see is to manually create an email and copy and paste info from the work item into the body of the email. Then I would need to pull the attachments from the work item and get them attached to my email. I attached a screen shot of what the email looks like in our current defect tracking software. Thanks for considering!

Tara
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:08 pm

Thank you for the additional information. I have logged the request.

One thing you can do is use our Vault client API to add the work items. Are you able to get information from your current system and save it as a .csv? If you don't have that option, then can you parse the emails you send from the system to yourself and put them in a .csv file? From there you could write something to read the data and use it to Vault through our API.

F: 16248, 12613
Beth Kieler