Vault Eclipse(oxygen) question. Directory of repository

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

mmorris

Vault Eclipse(oxygen) question. Directory of repository

Post by mmorris » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:11 am

Hi,

I'm going to work around this temporarily with a crude solution, but likely you'll be able to state the clever solution.

We're testing out Vault 10 Standard, and I'm using Eclipse (oxygen) with the correct Eclipse-Vault interface.

In my file system (in Windows 10), I copied my directory of php files '*_neon' to another directory '*_oxygen'.
(because we're now using oxygen as the IDE, and other reasons).

From Vault 10 Standard, I 'imported' the directory '*_oxygen' into the Repository. Directory/filename structure of: '$/Topic_092717/*_oxygen'.

I then in Eclipse try to connect to that directory, and it only partially works.

It tries to add my 6,666 files into '$/Topic_092717/*_neon', not '$/Topic_092717/*_oxygen'.

A picture is in the attached png.

The old repository was /COICOC/*_neon, and at least it's not trying to go there.
But, I'm not trying to connect it to /COICOC_092717/*_neon...
but instead /COICOC_092717/*_oxygen.

How can I get it to connect correctly?
Thank you.
Attachments
Oxygen_issue_pt1.PNG
Oxygen_issue_pt1.PNG (14.05 KiB) Viewed 24507 times

mmorris

Re: Vault Eclipse(oxygen) question. Directory of repository

Post by mmorris » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:32 am

Hi.

I was able to 'Get Latest' from Vault directly, and then the connection between 'Eclipse Oxgyen<->Vault Standard 10' worked fine.

I am curious though why I couldn't get the other to work. Seems like it should have.

Also, (I forgot to note in my last post) I did try both setting the working directory in Vault ... and leaving it unset. Neither seemed to help.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Michael M.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:19 am

What I would typically recommend is opening the project in Eclipse and then using the integration there to add the project to Vault.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

mmorris

Post by mmorris » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:23 am

OK, I will give that a try too.
Last edited by mmorris on Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

mmorris

Post by mmorris » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:25 am

I was just forwarded the 'Vault10' Feature list by our Vault contact within our company, http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/documen ... tline.html

In it, it says support is now available in Vault 10 Standard for Eclipse Neon 2.

I thought that '10' went with Eclipse Oxygen 3??

Also, the Neon version generally available now is '3'.

On the Eclipse website, 'neon2' isn't even an option anymore, though it seems like it might be downloadable at:
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packag ... pers/neon2

So... should I switch to Eclipse Neon 2 (assuming that the download above still reaches neon2)?
I will try and download neon2 next to confirm that that download still exists.

Thank you.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:15 am

Your Vault contact sent you stale information. Vault 10's release pre-dates the release of Eclipse Oxygen.

Eclipse Oxygen (Java EE version and Java RCP version) were both tested with Vault 10. See viewtopic.php?p=78799#p78799

The key will be getting the configuration set up correctly. If using the *same exact* workspace in Neon for Oxygen doesn't work, Your next solution might be to start with a fresh workspace, and copy existing files/folders into that new workspace.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

mmorris

Post by mmorris » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:18 am

Thank you!
Clear.

FYI - the neon2 download still works. :)

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:43 am

NP. We're working on adding some of this information (which will be kept up to date over time) to our Compatibility page - http://sourcegear.com/vault/documentati ... chart.html
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

mmorris

Post by mmorris » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:12 pm

OK, so I'm trying to place the files from my computer (using Eclipse) into completely empty subdirectories in Vault as I believe Beth had suggested above.

However, Eclipse (in a fresh workspace) is still remembering a repository subdirectory which doesn't exist (currently) at all on Vault.

In the image below the '*_oxygen' directory is new on Vault (at least on this server... I was doing some work on a test server briefly as a beta tester, and perhaps those tests are why Vault<-> Eclipse is confused). '*_oxygen' was not a subdirectory of $/COICOC.
$/COICOC did exist.

However, of my 6k files, a few files (ones I had modified while working as a beta-tester in our company of the Vault 10 Standard Eclipse-Vault connection) are trying to 'add files' to an '*_oxygen' subdirectory of '$/COICOC_092717', and '$/COICOC_092717' definitely does not exist... so the attempt to add fails.

I'm going to try to work around this by creating a '$/COICOC_092717' directory to make things happy, and then move the files over manually into the correct directory in the repository...

But, really that just puts me back at square one for now.

It would be much nicer if I could tell 'Eclipse' ... 'Hey, I don't know why you are trying to spread my files into multiple directories/repositories (both '$/COICOC' AND '$/COICOC_092717') on Vault, but please stop so I can follow Beth's advice'.

Suggestions? Please let me know of any questions.
I'll also try starting with a fresh project and moving files over. But, I'm a bit afraid that some hidden file(s?) within my project (other than the Eclipse-related .project and .buildpath files) is(are) dictating some of this 'muscle memory'.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Michael M.
Attachments
Directory2.PNG
Directory2.PNG (5.47 KiB) Viewed 24476 times

Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:27 pm

It might be easier if I can take a direct look. Since you have maintenance we can take this offline. Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a link to this forum thread?
Beth Kieler

mmorris

Post by mmorris » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:49 pm

It looks like it was mostly successful via the path described below. Although 2 files of ~1k didn't import, they are not critical, and I will investigate later.

It's basically the 'Let us make sure that everything is pretty much new' path (as Beth suggested, but I've added details for new Eclipse users like me).

1) Create a new, blank directory in my OS (Windows)... (Purpose of directory: intended for a copy of my php files).
2) Copy all php files over into new directory except some '.*' directories and files. Should have no effect other than decreasing # of files stored (from ~6k to ~1k).
3) Create a completely new Vault repository directory $/COICOC_092917 to be the main new directory for my 'COICOC' files.
4) Import php project from the Start page of Eclipse Oxygen (or Neon), and import the php project from the new php directory.
5) Right clicking on the project, use the 'Team' dropdown to connect to Vault (via 'Share *').
6) Connect to fresh Vault repository directory $/COICOC_092917.
7) Go to 'Pending Change Set' and 'Commit All' with comments.
8 ) (In my case) Enjoy the success of having your project checked in, and get on developing.

This is working a bit better too. In the last iteration, for some reason, when I edited files, Eclipse wouldn't auto-check them out. Currently an edit auto-Checks out, so that's definitely an improvement.

Thank you.
So for now, since one of the workarounds worked (and improved things), I'll drop the issue.

Have a great weekend.

Sincerely,
Michael M.

mmorris

Post by mmorris » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:28 am

An addendum. New issue, and probably solved...

Today (for some unknown reason), Eclipse would not start, and it seemed to be Java related. I had page-long error description. (not included, but available if you want it). It was summarized by 'Java was started but returned exit code =13'.

I was using java version 1.8.0_151; java could have been auto-updated on me by my institution.

Although this isn't directly a Vault-issue, it is Vault-related... if you have to use Eclipse because you are a php developer. So this addendum for php-developers who (like me) use Vault, and therefore pretty much have to use Eclipse, and might run into this.

I had 64-bit versions of everything (java, eclipse, my OS), and was using a jre (Java Runtime Environemnt) java version which I had installed manually (rather than from a web-install).

Apparently this can be solved by either (when starting at 64-bit versions) going to 32-bit versions of Java and Eclipse, or installing a JDK (Java Developer Kit) 64-bit version of Java. I tried the latter, and so far it is working without any need to reinstall Eclipse. The JDK version is nicer in that (for Windows 10) it comes as an exe file rather than a tar.gz (which requires at least 7zip, or a similar outside app, to unzip).

Still fine-tuning some things. (I have to re-install the new java key to hook Vault back up to Eclipse with this version of Java (1.6.1)...) I suspect that it's all working well again. So far, so good.

Sincerely,
Michael M.

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:44 am

Thanks for the information. This will be helpful to other users.
Beth Kieler