change drive letter in EVERY working folder

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

billreynen

change drive letter in EVERY working folder

Post by billreynen » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:50 pm

Hello,

I am moving to a new development workstation and all of my source code is moving from drive C: to drive E: The path name (other than the drive letter) for every working folder remains exactly the same.

Is there a way to update these working folders in bulk without having to change the working folder on each and every project?

I have over 100 projects check into vault (using Visual Studio Enhanced Client)

jclausius

Re: change drive letter in EVERY working folder

Post by jclausius » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:30 pm

Since we're talking about Visual Studio, how many solutions do you use within the repository? Do the projects all fall under the same solution mapped 1 to 1 to what appears as a folder in Vault appears as a directory on disk in the same parent-child path?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

billreynen

Post by billreynen » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:51 pm

Almost every folder represents a different solution.

And the folder structure in Vault does not EXACTLY match the working folder structure.

I had thought about just setting the working folder from the very top node of the vault repository and propagating it down the whole tree but I can't count on the entire structure being the same.

I know there are command line tools for special purposes. What I really need is a tool that will just iterate through all working folders and replace 'C:\' with 'E:\'

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:05 pm

If E:\some_dir\ is the top level directory of all solutions, you could try setting that in the Vault GUI client, and then copy the structure from C:\ to E:\.

Next open the solutions from disk. Worse case scenario is that in Visual Studio you have to go to File -> Vault -> Change Bindings, and set the working folder for the top level solution. However, it is usually the case that once the working folder is set at the solution level, the projects fall in line.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

billreynen

Post by billreynen » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:15 pm

E:\Some dir\ is not the top level of all solutions.

I think I will need to open each solution and change the working folder one at a time.

It's not terrible to do them solution at a time in Visual Studio so I will do it that way if there is no way to just change all the 'C:\' to 'E:\' with some other utility.

Thanks

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:05 am

Unfortunately, working folder assignments are kept in a cache location for each repository in your profiles directory, and it is a binary format.

Since it is a single letter, you could look at that, but making modifications to that file outside of Vault goes beyond how we can help through Support. If you do go down that path, you have to realize you're doing so at your own risk. About the only advice I could give is to make sure you have backups that you can restore if something goes awry.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear