getting started with Work Items (importing and configuring)

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
tficken2

getting started with Work Items (importing and configuring)

Post by tficken2 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:55 am

Hi,

We're gearing up to start importing our current bug list into Vault Work Items. We have a few questions/confirmations:

1) We are feeling out how to add items. That brought us here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8020 We put a few sample items into a Work Item project. Those sample items when viewed as XML, appear to be nested within each other (like Russian nesting dolls). We expected them to be on the same level. Are we doing something wrong?

2) It appears that the columns displayed for a query list (ID, Type, Description, Status, Priority, Assignee, Milestone and Category) are non-configurable. Is that correct?

3) Is there a way to turn off auditing for Work Items should we decide we don't want to waste space capturing this info?

4) Do we have any control over the ID field of Work Items? Our current IDs are for the most part numeric, BUT, some numbers may be skipped (1, 2, 3, 5). If these items were now known as (1, 2, 3, & 4) after importing into Work Item Tracking, any references I had pointing to "See #5", would be broken.

Thank you!

Tara

Beth

Re: getting started with Work Items (importing and configuri

Post by Beth » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:13 pm

1) When you are saying you viewed the items as XML, are you saying you pulled them from Vault using the API and then viewed them?

2) You can configure the columns in the Vault admin web page under Server Settings - Customize Item Fields.

3) I'm not sure I understand what you mean. If you mean the history of the changes, then I don't have a way to turn that off.

4) Our ID field corresponds to the ID in the table and is a key. What you can do is create another field for your own IDs and add it to the form.
Beth Kieler
SourceGear Technical Support

tficken2

Post by tficken2 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:05 am

1) Yes.

Happy New Year!

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:56 am

Could you send an email to support at sourcegear.com (attn: Beth) with a sample of your code and the output?

[email received]
HS: 249431
Beth Kieler

tficken2

Post by tficken2 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:34 pm

Will do!

Another related question please?

Our old defect tracking software supported HTML in large test fields. The HTML tags appear in our export to CSV. I don't suppose that will import nicely into Work Item Tracking? I'm guessing it doesn't support HTML? Thanks!

Tara

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:14 pm

HTML should work, but you will need to set the appropriate Boolean flags for "Html" and "SubjectHtml."
Beth Kieler

tficken2

Post by tficken2 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:54 am

Wonderful, thank you!

So we're digging deeper into the import process. We have attachments that we need to keep with our issues.

1) Looking at the bottom of FortressItemExpanded, would we add our attachments to our imported issues using GetMantisItem() or UpdateWithNewMantisItem()?

Code: Select all

[Hidden]
        public MantisItem GetMantisItem();
        [Hidden]
        public void UpdateWithNewMantisItem(MantisItemFullDetail item);
        public void Validate();
2) We would also like to (if possible) preserve our Reported (date and user) and Modified (date and user) information. (We don't track history in our current defect tracking database, so the Modified info is the LAST date and user to modify.)

These 4 fields aren't readily apparent in FortressItemExpanded, but drilling deeper we see several layers (MantisItemBase, MantisItemExpanded etc.) and eventually find the 4 fields. Some layers seem to get updated at different times. Which layer (and when) should we use to import our Reported and Modified info as part of our bug list?

Thank you!

Tara

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:22 pm

1) Try using what this user is doing here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10870&p=44865&hilit=attach#p44865.

2) This can't be done through the API, but could be added via SQL after you have the item present. If you want to go this route, let me know. Other options would be to take that information and add it to the details.
Beth Kieler

tficken2

Post by tficken2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:26 am

1) Will do, thanks!

2) Yes, I think we will try to go this route. Any tips you have are appreciated!

Thanks!

Tara

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:51 am

2) I will send an email.

HS: 249437
Beth Kieler