SSDT 2017 Extension Issue

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dsalter

SSDT 2017 Extension Issue

Post by dsalter » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:25 pm

We have Vault standard 10.0.1 793 installed and use SSDT 2017.

We have Vault_VisualStudioExtension_10.0.1.793 extension installed and notice on our Windows 10 systems that this extension disappears. We will install and set up SSDT 2017 and a day or two later, it is gone and we need to reinstall the extension. *** By gone, I mean the extension disappears from the source control options ... SSDT is ok...

Is this something you have come across?

If not, can the newer extension version: Vault_VisualStudioExtension_10.0.2.936

be used with Vault 10.0.1 ?

Are there fundamental differences between the extension versions that we should consider?

Tonya

Re: SSDT 2017 Extension Issue

Post by Tonya » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:36 pm

Hello,

We have had other reports of this issue. Some users have resolved the problem by uninstalling and reinstalling the Vault extensions while running Visual Studio as Admin. If this doesn't resolve the problem, the next step is to turn off the auto update feature within Visual Studio.

We are currently doing more research.

If the problem persists, please let me know.

Thanks,

Tonya Nunn
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:21 am

Please post back if the information from Tonya resolves the problem.

Also, I have a couple of questions regarding your configuration:

1) What version and edition of Visual Studio or SSDT did this happen on? (Help... About information)

2) Approximately, when did this start happening?

3) If you have multiple users, did this occur on all machines?

4) What version of the Vault for Visual Studio 2017 Extension was originally installed? For example, did you start with Vault 10.0.0, 10.0.1 or 10.0.2?

5) How did you download / install the extension? Did you download the .vsix file from the SourceGear Vault's download page? Did you use the "Tools and Extensions" utility from within Visual Studio?

6) If you downloaded the .vsix file from SourceGear, how did you install it? Did you just double click the .vsix file? Did you install it using VSIXInstaller.exe from an elevated command prompt?

7) If you installed the Vault extension from within Visual Studio, was Visual Studio running under elevated Administrative privileges when the extension was installed?

8 ) When the Vault Extension disappeared, how was Visual Studio last run? Under the normal user or under elevated Administrative privileges?

Thank you.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

dsalter

Post by dsalter » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:05 am

Answers below ....

1) What version and edition of Visual Studio or SSDT did this happen on?

We use SSDT 2017. I also use Visual Studio Pro 2017 but it does not happen to me.

2) Approximately, when did this start happening?

Has happened for the last few weeks. We just started using SSDT 2017 as we are moving our ETLs from 2008 to 2017. So, right from the start.

3) If you have multiple users, did this occur on all machines?

Yes, all the machines using SSDT 2017, which is three. I don't have the problem, but I use VS 2017 Pro.

4) What version of the Vault for Visual Studio 2017 Extension was originally installed? For example, did you start with Vault 10.0.0, 10.0.1 or 10.0.2?

Started with Vault 10.0.1 (793) and continue to use it - no changes.

5) How did you download / install the extension? Did you download the .vsix file from the SourceGear Vault's download page? Did you use the "Tools and Extensions" utility from within Visual Studio?

We downloaded and installed it by double clicking. We are prompted to use our admin accounts to install as we are locked down. We log in as our usual selves (dsalter) but need to use admin to install or modify system (admin-dsalter)

6) If you downloaded the .vsix file from SourceGear, how did you install it? Did you just double click the .vsix file? Did you install it using VSIXInstaller.exe from an elevated command prompt?

Yes and yes. See above.

7) If you installed the Vault extension from within Visual Studio, was Visual Studio running under elevated Administrative privileges when the extension was installed?

We must run SSDT 2017 with our admin/elevated account. However, we did not install the extension through SSDT.

8 ) When the Vault Extension disappeared, how was Visual Studio last run? Under the normal user or under elevated Administrative privileges?

We must run SSDT 2017 through elevated admin privileges. I use VS 2017 pro as a normal user (not admin).

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:33 am

For #1 (I edited the post above), Help... About within SSDT. What is the exact version / edition reported in the dialog?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

dsalter

Post by dsalter » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:03 am

SSDT 2017
Version 15.8.5
.net framework version 4.7.02556
SQL Server Data Tools - 15.1.61808.07020

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:11 am

Thank you.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

gvdkamp

Post by gvdkamp » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:33 am

We had the same problem. We disabled the Option to automatically update the extension in Visual Studio. Since then the problem disappeared.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:14 am

Are you using SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT) or Visual Studio?
gvdkamp wrote:We had the same problem. We disabled the Option to automatically update the extension in Visual Studio. Since then the problem disappeared.

If Visual Studio, please pick up the thread here - viewtopic.php?p=79585#p79585 . In addition to those Visual Studio users, two posts later, Microsoft is looking to collect additional information regarding installations.

In regards to Vault extensions within SSDT, we're still waiting to hear back from Microsoft if the vscollect stuff also applies to the SSDT installation.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear