Error with specific characters

Support for our DiffMerge utility.

Moderator: SourceGear

akamboj

Error with specific characters

Post by akamboj » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:26 pm

Hi!

When I use DiffMerge to diff to a file I get an exit code of 2 and the diff fails when the either file contains a → character. I imagine that this is an issue with other UTF8 characters as well. Is there any chance that this could be looked at?

Tonya

Re: Error with specific characters

Post by Tonya » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:03 am

Does the problem only exist when the character → exists in the file?

What is the Ruleset option set to?

Can you please provide me with step by step instructions to reproduce the error?

Thanks,

Tonya

akamboj

Post by akamboj » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:22 pm

I've noticed this with the → and the ∠ character, but I imagine this is an issue with other UTF8 characters too.

Here are the steps I used.
  • Make file A.txt with an → character in it.
    Make file b.txt that's empty.
    Run this command:

Code: Select all

sgdm.exe -u -d=output.txt A.txt B.txt
    sgdm will return an exit code of 2 and output.txt will be empty when it should contain a diff of the files.
I haven't specifically used Rulesets myself enough to your answer that question, is this enough info to tell you that answer though?

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:49 pm

Thank you for the details. I'm unable to reproduce the problem with the given scenario.

Can you please try diffing the files using the DiffMerge Client instead of the CLC to see if it changes anything?

Also, please check your ruleset configuration by selecting: Tools - Options - Rulesets.

Thanks,

Tonya

akamboj

Post by akamboj » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:37 pm

Using the visual diff window I see â when I diff the files instead of the arrow.

Looking at the Rulesets, I see that the text one has the encoding set to Western European, and if I change that to UTF-8 the diff appears correctly in the window!

However, changing that Ruleset doesn't seem to affect diffing to a file from the command line. And unfortunately, the way that I'm using DiffMerge is as part of an automated process to generate a diff file that can be processed by something else.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:38 pm

Hello again,

I have confirmed that changing the encodings in the DiffMerge GUI client carries over to the CLC. Is it possible you are using DiffMerge in a command prompt as a different user account?

Tonya

akamboj

Post by akamboj » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:10 pm

Wow you're right. Looks like I had an older version, with the latest one changing the Ruleset does change how CLC runs as well. Thank you for all your help!

Do you happen to know where the Ruleset information is stored? Is it in the registry, or config file somewhere, or something else?

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:39 am

Glad to hear the problem is resolved. The ruleset information is stored in the registry for each user.

Tonya