Add Files taking forever

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

ndecker@uss.com

Add Files taking forever

Post by ndecker@uss.com » Wed May 01, 2019 7:05 am

Using Vault Standard 10.0.1, GUI client
Right clicking a folder and selecting Add Files/Folders basically takes a minute or several minutes to come up. Sometimes in 30 secs, sometimes after about 5 mins. In the meantime, Windows 10 thinks it is not responding. Drive activity is very low.

What can be taking so long to build a folder tree from the drive? This is a 12 core machine with SSD. On my other machine it seems to be fine.

Tonya

Re: Add Files taking forever

Post by Tonya » Wed May 01, 2019 7:58 am

Hello,

I have a few questions:

1) Are all user's experiencing the delay?
2) Does the delay happen with any folder in the Vault tree?
3) Does the Add Files/Folders option finally appear? And you can successfully add files/folders?
4) Do you see any errors or details listed in the Messages pane?

Please send over your Vault Server log (%windir%\temp\sgvault\sgvault.log) to support@sourcegear.com.

Thanks,

Tonya

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu May 02, 2019 2:25 pm

We'd also like to know if any of your working folders in Vault are mapped drives on the network? Or are they on the local drive? Are any of the working folders set to a really deep tree on disk?

Thanks,

Tonya

ndecker@uss.com

Post by ndecker@uss.com » Wed May 08, 2019 9:30 am

Not all of us, but more than one of us have noticed it.
We do not use network locations for local folders. All are local folders, on brand new machines with SSD drives. I've checked while it's "not responding" and there's very little CPU or disk or IO use in task manager.

And no, we do not get any error messages - either on the server log or the client GUI itself.
Normally it eventually comes back. But sometimes from 30 secs to 4 or 5 mins.
(and no, most of our trees aren't that deep, either in Vault or on the local drive).
Last edited by ndecker@uss.com on Wed May 08, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed May 08, 2019 11:31 am

We'd like for you to perform a test. Can you please try the following:

Using the command line client do a LISTWORKINGFOLDERS (this step does not need to be completed if the users know where their working folders are set).

Next within the GUI, go to $/ and REMOVE all working folders (and choose the option to do so recursively).
Then try Add Files/Folders. Do you notice a difference in performance?

Now you can reset the working folders from the list of known working folders.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks,

Tonya

ndecker@uss.com

Post by ndecker@uss.com » Wed May 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Found the cmd client (never used it). The built in help isn't very useful so i'm having to guess at the parameters.
I can get it to connect with "Vault -host blah -user blah -password blah LISTWORKINGFOLDERS but it asks for repository, and no variation of adding the repository name next, or the -respository blah isn't working.

If I just do the parts to connect, then it asks for a command. So kinda lost there.

As for the GUI tool, I dont see any way to list or remove working folders off the $ menu. Just "explorer working folder" which is grayed out as I dont set top-tier working folders, just on the individual code areas beneath.

I've had other issues on my other machine (not refreshing, showing ghosted files that were no longer there, etc) that seem to be resolved with blowing away the cache, so maybe that's the plan.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed May 08, 2019 3:09 pm

The following knowledge base article may help you with the some of the CLC confusion:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15235

To remove your working folder associations within the Vault GUI Client, select $/ followed by "Set Working Folders" then "Remove working folder associations". Make sure to enable "Force all subfolders to use inherited working folder".

Ghosting can cause performance issues. You may want to turn the ghosting option off temporarily to see if it resolves the performance problems you are experiencing.

Thanks,

Tonya