Installation - SQL Connection Method

If you are having a problem using Dragnet, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

tbdean

Installation - SQL Connection Method

Post by tbdean » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:40 pm

When installing DragNet a prompt is given for SQL connection details. It says both:
The connection method you choose here determines how Dragnet will connect after installation.
and then:
The authentication information used here is only used for the creation of the database.
Which is correct? I have it a usename with permissions to create a db, but I'd rather it not use that account long term.
Attachments
SQL.jpg
Screen Shot
SQL.jpg (80.01 KiB) Viewed 8530 times

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:09 pm

There are two things going on.

1) The Mode ( SQL Server vs Windows Auth ) determines how Dragnet will be configured to connect to the database.

2) To create / upgrade your DB schema, you must have Admin privileges for the SQL Server machine. So when installing, you must be an Administrator of SQL Server if using Windows Auth from above, or have an account ( ex: sa ) if using SQL Server Auth.

The installation sort of wraps up both pieces of information in one dialog.

In sum, if you wish Dragnet to connect to the DB using Windows auth, select Windows Auth, and make sure you are installing Dragnet under a Windows account which has Admin privileges on SQL Server.

If you wish for Dragnet to connect using SQL Server Auth, select SQL Server Auth, and then provide SA or another account which has Admin privileges on SQL Server.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

tbdean

Post by tbdean » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:31 pm

jclausius wrote:There are two things going on.
Creating the db, and setting how Dragnet will connect after installation, right?

If this is so, then this line:
The authentication information used here is only used for the creation of the database
should have the word "only" taken out, perhaps it should be changed to "also". The dialog will be much clearer.

How do I change my connection setting now? I wanted to use SQL Server authentication for the creation, and Windows authentication for post-installation use.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:10 pm

tbdean wrote:I wanted to use SQL Server authentication for the creation, and Windows authentication for post-installation use.
This is not possible within the installation. However all is not lost.

While it is easiest to switch authentication by reinstallation ( and keeping your database ), there is an alternative, but ONLY when moving FROM SQL Server Auth TO Windows Auth for the connection.

An examination of Dragnet's web.config file should uncover the connect string for each type of mode used by the Dragnet application.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear