Advance Obliterate Client unable to connect

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
Taylin Anderson

Advance Obliterate Client unable to connect

Post by Taylin Anderson » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:21 am

I recently downloaded the VaultPro Advanced Obliterate Client to see if it would suite our needs for cleaning some of our projects.

Upon starting the client, I select the same profile that we use to log in with the Vault Professional Client, but I get the following error:

Unable to connect to {Our URL}. No server was found at the specified URL. Please verify your network settings using the Options dialog under the Tools menu in the Vault GUI Client. Web Exception: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.

As far as I can tell all settings for the obliterate client are identical to the Vault Professional Client that we use every day. Is there some setup that we need to implement on the server side in order for the Advance Obliterate client to connect to it?

Any support would be appreciated.

Tonya

Re: Advance Obliterate Client unable to connect

Post by Tonya » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:06 am

Hello,

Can you please try to login using your login credentials and not a profile to see if it makes a difference? Can yo log into Vault using the Vault GUI Client using the same credentials on this particular machine?

Thanks,

Tonya

Taylin Anderson

Post by Taylin Anderson » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:30 pm

Logging in using my account also gives the same error. The profile was using the admin account to make a login attempt.

I can use the GUI Client to log in on with this machine with no problems.

A little bit of information about the connection settings. I am connecting to my work environment through a VPN. I assume the proxy is configured correctly because the GUI client allows me to connect and interact with our repos. The connection has SSL enabled.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:53 pm

Hello again,

Where did you get the download you were referring to in your original post? The VaultPro Advanced Obliterate Client? Obliterates are completed within the Vault Admin Tool using the web client. I'm not quite sure what client you are using to connect to your server with.

Thanks,

Tonya

Taylin Anderson

Post by Taylin Anderson » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:50 am

Yes the Advanced Obliterate Client. Found here:
https://sourcegear.com/vault/powertoys.html

The obliterate functionality in the GUI client and the web portal do not seem to support what we are trying to do. When we run an obliterate on a folder, if there are any shared files found anywhere in the folder then the obliterate fails. This is reasonable, we dont want to obliterate shared files, but how can we force it to obliterate the unique files in the folder structure?

I wanted to see if the advance obliterate client gave us more freedom to specify how files will be obliterated.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:34 pm

Sorry about my lack of knowledge with this client. It apparently is not used by many Vault users, I didn't even know it existed.

You indicated that you have SSL enabled. Are you by any chance using TLS 1.1/1.2 only?

Thanks,

Tonya

Taylin Anderson

Post by Taylin Anderson » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:18 am

We only have TLS 1.2 enabled for the server. We disabled TLS 1.0 to comply with company security requirements.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:41 am

Hello again,

Thank you for the confirmation. The obliterate client does not yet support TLS 1.1/1.2. I will log a ticket for TLS support with the obliterate client but unfortunately, I know this will not help you at the moment.

Tonya

Taylin Anderson

Post by Taylin Anderson » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:39 pm

Thank you for the information.

If we are unable to explore the advance obliterate client, then is the only method we have to mass obliterate unique (not-shared) files in a directory is to manually traverse the directory and delete files one by one?

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:07 pm

Let me check with our development team to see if they have any suggestions and I'll get back to you.

Tonya

Taylin Anderson

Post by Taylin Anderson » Tue May 11, 2021 9:46 am

Is there any update on this topic?

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Tue May 11, 2021 10:12 am

Hello again,

Sorry about my delay. I thought that our dev team may be aware of an option I was not but it sounds like obliterating one by one is the only option. They did however suggest that you might be able to use the obliterate power tool if you changed IIS to allow HTTP.

Thanks,

Tonya

Taylin Anderson

Post by Taylin Anderson » Thu May 13, 2021 9:31 am

When using the standard obliterate through the web gui, is there any way to obliterate all files that have been deleted?

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu May 13, 2021 1:42 pm

When you initiate the Obliterate option within the Vault Admin Tool, if you select root ($\) all the files\folders that have been deleted will appear. You will have to manually select each one, then when you're done, select the Obliterate button.

Tonya