add field to existing work item tracking database

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
tficken2

add field to existing work item tracking database

Post by tficken2 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:30 am

Hi folks,

I want to add a new field to an existing work item tracking database. Am I going to get into trouble? Thanks!

Tara

Tonya

Re: add field to existing work item tracking database

Post by Tonya » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:58 pm

Hi Tara,

Would you mind to provide us with more details just to clarify exactly what you plan on doing? I need more information to properly answer your question.

Thanks,

Tonya

tficken2

Post by tficken2 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:56 am

Hi Tonya,

I want to add a new Custom Field and then put it into our Item Tracking form. We're going to be doing concurrent development in two milestones and I wanted to add a field to track that changes that have been merged to dev have been tested there too.

I figured adding a field is changing the shape of the database so I should ask. The fact that you need to know more before saying yes makes me think I should play it safe and figure out a different way to track what I want to track.

Thanks!

Tara

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:24 pm

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional details. Before confirming, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any pertinent details. If I'm understanding you correctly, you already know how to create new custom fields, you are simply looking for verification that it's ok to add a field to an existing "in use" database. The answer to that is yes, adding a new custom field does not change the "shape" of the database, it adds more data.

If you need additional information on how to actually create a new custom field, please let me know.

Thanks,

Tonya

tficken2

Post by tficken2 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:23 pm

Great! Thank you!