SQL Logins needed

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.
gos56280`

SQL Logins needed

Post by gos56280` » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:02 am

We have had an install of Vault Professional for a decade over many versions.
I have questions about the following statement:

"The Vault Server installer will also create a SQL login named 'sgvaultuser', and grant it access to the new databases. The SA account is used only during the installation process. After installation, Vault server will use only the sgvaultuser account to access the databases."

It says 'sgvaultuser' is the only SQL Login used. When I look, for each database, I see another login 'vaultAdmin'. Is this a vault login? Can I remove this login? I really am not sure whether, or why, we would have created this login.

We are being required to do password updates now. I can find the 'sgvaultuser' connection information in the web config, and I know how to update the password both there and on SQL server. If the login 'vaultAdmin' is required, can we update the password for this login?

Tonya

Re: SQL Logins needed

Post by Tonya » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:46 am

Hello,

The 'sgvaultuser' user is only used during the Vault Server installation process. The 'vaultAdmin' is the admin account for Vault and can not be removed. The password for the Vault Admin account can be changed within the Admin Tool under users.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Tonya

gos56280`

Post by gos56280` » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:16 am

Thank you.
So, in the web interface is the 'Admin' user the one connected to the SQL 'vaultAdmin' Login?
See attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:20 am

Hello again,

Yes, you are correct.

Tonya

gos56280`

Post by gos56280` » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:21 am

Thanks again.
I asked our SQL team to update the PW for 'sgvaultuser', unfortunately they updated the PW for both 'sqvaultuser' and 'vaultAdmin'.
I updated both the web configs with the new PW for 'sgvaultuser' in VaultPro and VaultService.
Nothing works now.
I did validate that the new PW for 'sgvaultuser' is valid by connecting to SQL server via SSMS.
Do you have any suggestions on how to get it working again?
-Thank you

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:49 am

I have a few questions for you:

1) How were the new passwords changed?
2) When you state that nothing works, nobody can log into Vault? Can you please elaborate on the issue? If you receive any errors, please let me know.
3) Your Vault Server log may indicate more details. The Vault Server log is in %windir%\temp\sgvault\sgvault.log on the server machine.

Thanks,

Tonya

gos56280`

Post by gos56280` » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:56 am

1) How were the new passwords changed?
I can't be sure, but I would think SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) by the SQL sa.
2) When you state that nothing works, nobody can log into Vault? Can you please elaborate on the issue? If you receive any errors, please let me know.
No one can login into vault via Visual Studio, Vault Client, nor the website.
3) Your Vault Server log may indicate more details. The Vault Server log is in %windir%\temp\sgvault\sgvault.log on the server machine.
Attached is the log and the Vault Web Site page snapshot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:40 pm

Look at the SQL Connect strings in the web.config files in the Vault website. The default location is C:\inetpub\wwwroot\vaultservice, but it's possible to have been installed somewhere else. If SQL authentication is used, then there will be an encrypted password in the connect string. There are multiple databases to authenticate to, so check each to see if their encrypted passwords match. If they don't, make copies of the passwords and try replacing the one for the sgvault database to see if it works. After replacing the encrypted password, you will need to perform an IIS reset, by running iisreset at an administrator command prompt. If there are other websites that can't be reset, then you can alternatively recycle each of the Vault application pools instead.

If this doesn't help, I can provide you with a Vault Encryption tool. Please email support@sourcegear.com and provide us with your entire Vault Server log file.

Tonya

gos56280`

Post by gos56280` » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:54 pm

I've done most of the things you suggested - recylce pool, IIS reset, etc.
So, the plain text PW I've received from the SQL team... does it need to be encrypted? This is a point I have been wondering about?
If I was given a PW, 123abc@!, then does it need to be encrytped to ...?

I've replaced the server name and with the dummy PW below in the one sample (I know there are multiple places in both web.config files):
<add key="SGNotify_ConnectString" value="Application Name='SourceGear Vault Server (Notification)'; Connection Reset='true'; Server=AServerhere\instance; Database=sgnotify; User ID=sgvaultuser; pwd=123abc@!" />
<!-- INTEGRATEDWINDOWSMODE-add key="SGNotify_ConnectString" value="Application Name='SourceGear Vault Server (Notification)'; Connection Reset='true'; Server=AServerhere\instance; Database=sgnotify; Integrated Security='true'" />INTEGRATEDWINDOWSMODE- -->

Tonya

Post by Tonya » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:32 pm

Please email support@sourcegear.com and I will provide you with instructions on encrypting the passwords for your web.config files.

Tonya