Unable to locate Automation Component

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

kenttushaus

Unable to locate Automation Component

Post by kenttushaus » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:11 pm

I have followed the instructions in the KB regarding this error and it did not resovle it. I did not find any of the indicated keys in the registry. I then installed the client version and still same error. I searched for the SSAPI.DLL file on the server and it was not found. This was a move from another server and I was not involved in that process (that person is sleeping after a long night). Any help would be appreciated.

heath

Re: Unable to locate Automation Component

Post by heath » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:04 pm

kenttushaus wrote:I have followed the instructions in the KB regarding this error and it did not resovle it. I did not find any of the indicated keys in the registry. I then installed the client version and still same error. I searched for the SSAPI.DLL file on the server and it was not found. This was a move from another server and I was not involved in that process (that person is sleeping after a long night). Any help would be appreciated.
It sounds like SourceSafe is not installed. Make sure it is installed before installing SOS.
Go Illini!

Re: Unable to locate Automation Component

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:27 pm

heath wrote:
kenttushaus wrote:I have followed the instructions in the KB regarding this error and it did not resovle it. I did not find any of the indicated keys in the registry. I then installed the client version and still same error. I searched for the SSAPI.DLL file on the server and it was not found. This was a move from another server and I was not involved in that process (that person is sleeping after a long night). Any help would be appreciated.
It sounds like SourceSafe is not installed. Make sure it is installed before installing SOS.
It is installed, but on a different server. Will this config work?

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:51 pm

The SourceSafe client does need to be on the same machine as the SOS Server. The SOS Server needs the automation component provided by the VSS client to communicate with the database.

The SOS Server does not need to be installed on the same machine as the VSS database, as long as it is on the same LAN.

Configure the path to the database in the SOS Server manager using a UNC pathname or use the Browse button.

Configure the SOS Server service to run as an NT Domain Account rather than a System Account. On Windows 2000, go to Control Panel ->Administrative tasks -> Services -> SourceOffSite -> (right-click) Properties -> Logon. The SOS Server Service account should have read/write access to the directory where the VSS database resides.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager