Vault 2.06 and 3 on the same machine

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Nahum

Vault 2.06 and 3 on the same machine

Post by Nahum » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:51 am

Can version 2 and 3 co-exist happly on the one machine? I want to test upgrading to vault 3 before doing it for real. So I want to stick the vault 3 client and server on a machine that already has the vault 2 client on it.

Will this work?

Cheers,
Nahum Wild
Development Group Leader
PayGlobal

mhawley

Re: Vault 2.06 and 3 on the same machine

Post by mhawley » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:14 am

Nahum wrote:Can version 2 and 3 co-exist happly on the one machine? I want to test upgrading to vault 3 before doing it for real. So I want to stick the vault 3 client and server on a machine that already has the vault 2 client on it.

Will this work?

Cheers,
I've asked this before, and what you need to do is make a copy of c:\program files\SourceGear\Vault Client prior to installing Vault 3 client. However, installing the server is a different story and I highly doubt you can do that.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:18 am

Co-exist? Yes. Happily? -- not sure.

I provide tech support for versions 2.0.6 and 3.0, so I have both Vault Clients on the same machine.

I renamed the 2.0.6 Vault Client directory and then installed the Vault 3.0 client. I use different working directories for each client.

If you use the IDE, note that the installer changes registry settings for SCCServer path in this key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SourceGear\Vault Client. If you just installed Vault 3.0 but want to use IDE integration with Vault 2.0, you'd need to edit this path to point to the correct Vault Client directory: C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\VaultIDE.dll.

Vault 3.0 clients don't work with Vault 2.0 servers. You could use our demo server or install Vault 3.0 Server on a different machine to evaluate the new version.
Last edited by lbauer on Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

Nahum

Post by Nahum » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:34 pm

Thanks for that, I might just try and find a spare machine without Vault on it.
Nahum Wild
Development Group Leader
PayGlobal

Cardiff

Post by Cardiff » Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:19 pm

I'd just like to add that it would be a really nice feature to be able to run the 2.x client and the 3.x clients side by side. I'm in a situation where I work for a company that uses Vault and I also do some consulting on my own, for which I also use Vault. I'm ready to upgrade to 3.x but obviously I'll have to wait until my day job upgrades their server to 3.x... and who knows how long that will be....