Add files/folders

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

christian

Add files/folders

Post by christian » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:56 am

Guys, may I say that I think you've done an excellent job with the Add file/Folder dialog. Coming from source safe, being presented with a tree view to make selections is a real boon.

I have possibly noticed a small glitch. Best explain what I tried to do:
I right-clicked and selected Add on $/ThirdPartyCode/CmdLine. The dialog presented me with the files and folders on the file system that map to the working directory for CmdLine. I checked a subfolder directly under CmdLine called Mainline and added most of the files in this subdirectory.

I right-clicked and selected Add on $/ThirdPartyCode/CmdLine for the second time. I was presented with the Mainline subdirectory and on selecting this in the tree view I was presented with the same list of files in the right-hand pane even though most of them I had already added to Vault. Obviously selecting the files already added from this subdirectory will cause Vault to complain and fail the Add.

I just tried a little experiment and I right-clicked and selected Add on $/ThirdPartyCode/CmdLine/Mainline (the subdirectory I added above). The right-hand pane now correctly displays only those files that are not in Vault. I'm assuming this is an "undocumented feature" (aka Mr.Bug)?

Christian

dan

Post by dan » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:50 am

In the Add Dialog (as opposed to the Detect New Files dialog, which looks the same buts acts slightly differently), everything is added directly under the folder that you invoked the add on.

So, if you selected a folder to (which had subfolders and files under it), it would have added that folder and its contents to the "root" folder (the one you had invoked add on). If you then invoked add, but selected individual files or folders underneath the folder you just added, they shouldn't be duplicates, because they will get added to a different place in the tree (they too will get added to the "root" folder, but since they are subfolders or files of the folder you added, they are actually in a different place in the tree).

I hope that explanation wasn't too convulted. I could provide an example, but it wouldn't be as useful as playing around with where files actually get added in the tree to see how it works.

Let me know if this isn't the issue you are seeing, and definitely let me know if the file list allows you to add files that already exist in that location in the tree.

christian

Post by christian » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:00 am

Following what you said with an example I contrived in Vault I can figured it out and released that it’s me not understanding the difference between the two dialog boxes.

Thanks for setting things straight.
Christian