Vault 2.0.6 upgrade to 3.0 problem w/shadow folders

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Don Thimsen

Vault 2.0.6 upgrade to 3.0 problem w/shadow folders

Post by Don Thimsen » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:18 pm

I waited until Sunday afternoon to attempt our upgrade to Vault 3.0. After getting by my misconception that a Gold License key is not the same as a Vault license key, I upgraded our vault server to 3.0.

First a question - Can the 2.0.6 client work with a vault 3.0 server? I thought I read that it could, but I got object instance errors when I tried using the 2.0.6 client. So, I installed the 3.0 client and continued testing..

Now for the problem. We make heavy use of shadow folders. I saw plenty of posts from people having problems with 2003 server, but we're running vault on a Window 2000 server, so I wasn't expecting problems. However, when testing to see if shadow folders worked, I didn't see any updates applied to the files in shadow folders.

I then opened the Vault Admin, and received the following when trying to check the shadow folder definitions:

The Shadow Folder Web Service could not be contacted. The operation has been cancelled.
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File or assembly name VaultLib, or one of its dependencies, was not found.
File name: "VaultLib"
at VaultShadowFolder.VaultShadowFolderService..ctor()

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = VaultLib, Version=3.0.0.2752, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
(Fully-specified)
LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/VaultService/VaultShadowFolder
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = bin
Calling assembly : VaultShadowFolder, Version=1.0.1787.31334, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.
===

LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom, partial, or location-based assembly bind).
LOG: Post-policy reference: VaultLib, Version=3.0.0.2752, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET Files/vaultshadowfolder/dfda4c0e/c6c8dfdc/VaultLib.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET Files/vaultshadowfolder/dfda4c0e/c6c8dfdc/VaultLib/VaultLib.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/VaultService/VaultShadowFolder/bin/VaultLib.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/VaultService/VaultShadowFolder/bin/VaultLib/VaultLib.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET Files/vaultshadowfolder/dfda4c0e/c6c8dfdc/VaultLib.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET Files/vaultshadowfolder/dfda4c0e/c6c8dfdc/VaultLib/VaultLib.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/VaultService/VaultShadowFolder/bin/VaultLib.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/VaultService/VaultShadowFolder/bin/VaultLib/VaultLib.EXE.

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

I didn't have time to play with this today, so backed off 3.0 to 2.0.6. Fortunately, we use Raid 1 mirror and I had removed mirror drive just before upgrading. This means I also lost the log files and everything to do with the upgrade.

Would reading the posts on shadows folders and Server 2003 be helpful or misleading? I thought the problems with 2003 were related to IIS 6.

We don't do anything fancy with the shadow folders. Our initial attemtps at using UNC names in 2.0 didn't work that well, so our 2.0.6 definitions use local files (ie. c:\copylib\accr41) and DFS replication to mirror directories on remote servers.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Don

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:07 pm

Don:

Do your symptoms appear similar to this posting?

http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2484
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Don Thimsen

Post by Don Thimsen » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:06 pm

It looked promising, but our Vault server has the Indexing Service set to Manual. The current status is "Stopped".

Note: I did not restart our vault server after the upgrade. In hindsight, I wish I'd tried that...

Any other ideas?

Don

PS. This is not a critical problem, so please enjoy what's left of the weekend. I'll probably wait several days before trying the next attempt to upgrade.

Don Thimsen

Post by Don Thimsen » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:18 pm

One other thing I just noticed. The Win2K vault server is running .net 1.1 but does not have SP1 installed. I'll install the service pack before the next upgrade attempt.

Don

Don Thimsen

Post by Don Thimsen » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:48 am

I tried to upgrade again this morning, and had exactly the same results. After the upgrade, shadow folders are not working. If I attempt to use the vault 3.0 admin application to look at the shadow folder definitions, I get the messages about vaultlib not found.

Note: On this upgrade attempt, the .net 1.1 SP 1 was applied before the upgrade, and the vault machine was rebooted after the upgrade.

Before backing off of 3.0, I made a copy of the VaultService directory structure in IIS, as well as the SourceGear folder in Program files.

Doing a quick compare between the 2.0.6 and 3.0 folders shows that the vaultlib.dll is not present in the VaultService/shadowfolder/bin directory on 3.0. The 2.0.6 release does have a copy in the same foler...

Any ideas yet as to what might be happening? Or anything you'd like to see?

Thanks,
Don

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:07 am

Don:

There were some issues with shadow folders ( but those symptoms did not appear to match your posting ) which will be addressed in the soon to be realsed Vault 3.0.1.

Other than Shadow Folders does everything else seem to be running correctly?
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Don Thimsen

Post by Don Thimsen » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:23 am

On your Vault server, do you have a vaultlib.dll in the VaultService/shadowfolder/bin 3.0 directory?

>>Other than Shadow Folders does everything else seem to be running correctly?<<

Yes. Everything else looks fine.

Any idea about when 3.0.1 will be available?

Thanks,
Don

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:40 am

Don Thimsen wrote:On your Vault server, do you have a vaultlib.dll in the VaultService/shadowfolder/bin 3.0 directory?
Yes.

Don Thimsen wrote:Any idea about when 3.0.1 will be available?
If things go according to plan, sometime later today.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Don Thimsen

Post by Don Thimsen » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:48 am

Jeff,

>>On your Vault server, do you have a vaultlib.dll in the VaultService/shadowfolder/bin 3.0 directory?

Yes. <<

Install script problem? Is there a log left over from the upgrade that I can examine?

Don

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:57 am

Hmmm... Look for %temp%\vault_install.log under the user who installed Vault.

Also, if you save web.config for VaultShadowFolder and the Vault.config file from Vault server, you could also try a complete uninstall / reinstallation - Make sure to KEEP your database if you go this route.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:28 pm

Vault 3.0.1 is now available for download from the SourceGear Vault site ( http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/downloads.html )
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

Don Thimsen

Post by Don Thimsen » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:01 pm

Thanks Jeff,

I'll try the upgrade to 3.0.1 tommorrow morning.

Don

Don Thimsen

Post by Don Thimsen » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:01 pm

Jeff,

Since it was relatively quiet this afternoon, I got all the developers to give me thirty minutes to try the upgrade.

I installed the 3.0.1 server onto 2.0.6. After the install, I immediately check the \Inetpub\wwwroot\VaultService\VaultShadowFolder\bin folder. The vaultlib.dll was again missing...

On to plan B.

I uninstalled the 3.0.1 server and keep my database, then reinstalled 3.0.1. This time, the vaultlib.dll was found in the directory. Shadow folders look like they are working correctly.

I then went looking for the vault_install.log. Unfortunately, after finding the log, I noticed that the uninstall/reinstall had erased the original upgrade.

Everything is now working, but I think you've got an install script error for upgrades. Our vault server is a Win2K server with all service packs and windows updates installed. MS SQL server and Vault are about the only other applications on the system.

Thanks,
Don

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:30 pm

That seems rather odd. I'll look over this tomorrow, and if there is a bug, submit a report.

Thanks for the info.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear