VS.NET 2003 IDE Errors after upgrade to Vault 3.0.1

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

Aaron Young

VS.NET 2003 IDE Errors after upgrade to Vault 3.0.1

Post by Aaron Young » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:15 am

We ust upgraded from 2.0.4 to 3.0.1 and now we're getting sporadic errors when opening a solution within VS.NET 2003.

There errors are:

The project <Name> is under source control. An error occurred registering this project with source control. It is recommended that you do not make any changes to this project.

Sometimes followed by:

An error occurred when you attempted to access the source control system. Check installation.

Originally, I wasn't getting this problem and another developer was, now I too am getting it.

Any ideas?

Regards,

- Aaron.
Aaron Young
Red Wing Software

dan

Post by dan » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:25 am

There isn't much info to go on there. Is this a solution with multiple projects? At what point does the error happen, exactly?

You might turn on ide client debugging (see http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2146) which might show where it is hanging up.

Some other things to look at would be the MSSCCPRJ.SCC files in each project and make sure they are pointing to the right places. And, you might try unbinding/re-binding, or even simply doing an open from source control to a new working folder and seeing whether that helps.

Aaron Young

Post by Aaron Young » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:33 am

I'll give your suggestions a try... One thing I did notice though, is I'm no longer prompted for my Vault login info when I first open the solution and I always was in 2.0.4.
Aaron Young
Red Wing Software

dan

Post by dan » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:43 am

Yes, 3.0 now automatically connects if you use a profile, which was a very common request.

Aaron Young

Post by Aaron Young » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:04 am

I turned on the IDE debugging, though I'm not sure what I'm looking for, is there something specific, like an Error tag or something?

The problem is happening all the time now, almost as soon as the solution is opened I get the 2nd error about an error occuring trying to access source control. At that point, I no longer have any source control menu items, sometimes it even causes the IDE to crash.

There are over 75 projects in the solution.

I checked the MSSCCPRJ.SCC file for a couple of the projects and they are accurate, nothing in terms of vault configuration changed during the upgrade to 3.0.1

As the Source Control menu items aren't present after the error I can't attempt to re-bind.

- Aaron.
Aaron Young
Red Wing Software

dan

Post by dan » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:24 am

Send me email so I can contact you off-line. Send me any [SCCOpenProject] lines, and check whether they seem to have valid paths in them.

Aaron Young

Post by Aaron Young » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:57 am

I've sent the info. you asked for, also, one of the things I tried was deleting all my local source files and then I opened the solution and vault got all the source and opened the solution just fine. However, when I then restarted the .NET IDE and opened the solution again, I get the same errors.
Aaron Young
Red Wing Software

Aaron Young

Post by Aaron Young » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:08 pm

I'm curious as to where Vault gets the Repository information within the VS.NET IDE? Because I'm not specifying a default repository in my profile (because I use many and it's easier for me if I can select one.) However when I open a solution I'm never prompted for a Repository...

Also, one of my solutions has just started asking me for a repository and now it seems to work fine, where as a solution that's under source control (the solution file itself is under source control), doesn't ask me for a repository and generates the errors I've reported.

- Aaron.
Aaron Young
Red Wing Software

dan

Post by dan » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:47 pm

The repository info is stored in the MSSCCPRJ.SCC file that are in the same folder as the solution or project file. So, truth be told, Vault doesn't use the repository specified in the profile when connecting from the IDE, it uses the one in the scc file (there is a repository id stored in the connection string there). This is because you can't change the repository it is connected to without changing the bindings, so the .scc file is guaranteed to be more right than the one in the profile, which is subject to user editing :)

Aaron Young

Post by Aaron Young » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:11 pm

That's interesting, because I just looked in some of the MSSCCPRJ.SCC files and none of them have any repository info, here's what they contain:
SCC = This is a source code control file

[Build.sln]
SCC_Aux_Path = http://ourvaulthostaddress/VaultService|Username:4
SCC_Project_Name = $/SCC/Path/To/Project/Or/Solution
We seem to have found a short-term solution which allows us to continue using v3x of Vault, which is to remove any profiles we have setup in Vault.

It looks to me like the profiles are the culprits, but I can't explain why.

Regards,

- Aaron.
Aaron Young
Red Wing Software

Aaron Young

Post by Aaron Young » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:14 pm

Sorry, Dan, just realized you said "Repository Id", so that's what the "4" is in my case.
Aaron Young
Red Wing Software

dan

Post by dan » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:23 pm

If you can figure out which projects are failing, check the .scc files of those projects, and see whether anything looks different in those (aside from the project locations).

Are any of these projects in a different repository than the other projects?

Aaron Young

Post by Aaron Young » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:41 pm

Interesting... I tried that and for the projects/solutions that are failing, there is no MSSCCPRJ.SCC file, there is however a scctempfile.tmp which appears to be the same file and it's contents are exactly like the contents of the MSSCCPRJ.SCC file when it does work (via the work-around.)

The contents are as described above and appear accurate.
Aaron Young
Red Wing Software