Show Differences question

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

kellyb

Show Differences question

Post by kellyb » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:18 pm

Sourcegear - I'm a huge fan of Vault - nice work. I just convinced my client to purchase 35 licenses and I love the product more and more everyday.

I have one question though...

The Show Differences feature is wonderful. Something that seems strange though is I do not see a way to GET files from the differences listing.

A common function on our team is to inspect a given tree node for changes - i.e. a developer wants to fetch the files that have been changed by his fellow developers. So he does a Show Differences (recursively) on that node he's interested in and Vault is really friendly and nice and shows him exactly what's different between his local copy and what's been recently checked in by others.

Ok, my question is... now that my developer knows exactly what has changed - how does he GET them if he so chooses? there doesn't appear to be any way to fetch them from that screen. Please don't tell me that developer must jot down the file names and their locations on a piece of paper, get out of that screen, and then go back into the node and fetch from there one by one? Please tell me there's a better way.

cheers
-kelly

kellyb

Post by kellyb » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:27 pm

shoudl have mentioned that I'm running 3.0.1 of both client and server
-kelly

dan

Post by dan » Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:34 pm

Thanks for the enthusiasm - we always like to hear feedback like that :)

The way to do this in Vault is to use the Search tab in the GUI client. It will show you any status on a file, and from there you can do a Get.

Our diff tool is a separate app that doesn't know anything about Vault (it is called as a separate program), and we didn't put source control commands in it as a feature.

Hope this helps