Installation issue

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

grif

Installation issue

Post by grif » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:42 am

We have been upgrading each developer's machine with the new 2.0.0 client and I have two issues that may be worthy of investigating.
First, for our developers that have both the v1.0 and v1.1 of the .NET Framework on their machine, selecting the check-box during the installation regarding 'Use SourceGear Vault as the default Source Control provider' (I don't remember the exact text, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about) - this check box does not seem to really enable Vault as the Source Control provider for VS.NET 2002.
Before using vault we were using SourceSafe as our Source Control provider. Then a few weeks ago we all moved over to Vault v1.2.3.
When the developers who had both .NET Frameworks on their machine upgraded to the v2.0.0 client - DevStudio reverted the Source Control provider to Source Safe - even though they selected to have Vault be the provider during Vault's installation. We found a work-around by going into the Vault Client, going to Tools-->Options, and selecting 'Make Vault your default SCC Provider'. After doing that we found that DevStudio was using Vault. The developers that had only the v1.0 of the .NET Framework installed did not have this problem.
The other issue we have found is that in VS.NET 2002, the first time we open our project and it prompts us to log-in, if you do not have any profiles created - and select 'Edit Profile...', the VaultClientPresentationLib throws an exception. No big deal, because we can still go through the Vault Client to create our profile(s).
So neither one of these issues are holding us up, I just wanted to bring this to your attention.
Thanks,
grif

dan

Post by dan » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:01 pm

This is interesting, because we have never been able to get Vault 2.0 to work at all with VS 2002, because we could not get VS 2002 to use the 1.1 framework required by Vault 2.0. We can get VS 2002 to run on a machine with both 1.0 and 1.1 framework installed, but it always appears to choose the 1.0 framework, and when it tries to load Vault, it barfs. If we remove the 1.0 framework, VS 2002 won't run.

Have you been able to actually use Vault on VS 2002? If so, did you do something magical to get VS 2002 to use the 1.1 framework?

grif

Post by grif » Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:58 am

I apologize for not clarifying this in my first post, we used the VS.NET 2002 Patch (after running the 2.0.0 client installation) you have provided in your download area to get the Vault integration to work. The reason I made the post was more of a bug report - I am unaware of a more appropriate location to report something like that to you. I figured it would be better to put a posting in here rather than an email to support because others may find it useful (or not). We ran into the same problem on each machine that had both .NET Frameworks installed - thats why I figured it was a real issue.

dan

Post by dan » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:35 am

Ah OK - the world make sense again :)

Yes, this is the appropriate place to report issues like, precisely because others then can check here if they have similiar issues.

Thanks for the reports - we'll look into them