Source files not placed under project file

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

bredej

Source files not placed under project file

Post by bredej » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:28 am

Vault version 3.0.1

Is it possible to have source files placed in a location not directly under the (MS VisualStudio 2003) project file? I have multiple projects in a solution like this:

C:\Projects\MyProject\VisualStudio\MySolutionFile.sln
C:\Projects\MyProject\VisualStudio\ProjectA\ProjectAProjectFile.vcproj
C:\Projects\MyProject\VisualStudio\ProjectB\ProjectBProjectFile.vcproj
C:\Projects\MyProject\src\ProjectA\ .cpp and .h files
C:\Projects\MyProject\src\ProjectB\ .cpp and .h files
C:\Projects\MyProject\include\ common .h files

Thanks.

dan

Post by dan » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:16 am

Visual Studio doesn't like it so much when you have files outside a common root. Web applications are an exception to this.

It doesn't matter to Vault where your files are, as long as there is only one working folder per Vault folder. So, one possibility is to not use IDE integration and just use the Vault client itself if you want to put files outside a common root.

bredej

Post by bredej » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:51 pm

It's working perfectly with VS and SourceSafe. I believe it's a question of how to specify a common root for project and source files and use relative paths from there.
I guess I have to edit the project files in text mode but how should it look like? I'm not importing VSS, it's a fresh start in Vault.

Thanks

dan

Post by dan » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:43 pm

What kind of error are you getting when attempting to add the solution with Vault as the SCC provider?

bredej

Post by bredej » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:48 pm

I fixed the problem :D

First I created a new solution with two tiny projects with the same directory layout and added it to Vault. This worked without problem.
This verified it should work if I only could clean my original project from source control info. After some trial and error all the source control icons in the solution window where gone. After that it was a simple add to Vault and everything worked.