Vault integration into a custom app

This forum is now locked, since Gold Support is no longer offered.

Moderator: SourceGear

jnapier

Vault integration into a custom app

Post by jnapier » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:57 pm

I have just started brainstorming on a new project for this year. The app is basically a custom CMS system for a specific area of one of our client sites.

I was thinking about using vault as the source control repository for the application. The existence of vault would be transparent to the user so I would be using the VaultClient API. The app will display a treeview of the content and I was hoping to provide indicators in the tree as to whether or not a file was checked out. This would be similiar to Visual Studio.

Can you point me in the right direction of where I would begin to achieve something like this. I have just started looking at the API and would just like a little head start.

Is what I am hoping to accomplish a very difficult task?

Also, does Source Gear offer Vault server licenses. This would be helpful so that my app did not have to worry about the number of Vault Licenses when a user got added to the system.

Thanks for any help on this.

ericsink

Post by ericsink » Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:13 pm

The best way to get started with the API is to read the source for the command-line client (included with the Client API installer) and ask questions here on our forums.

Sorry, but the only licensing model we offer is "per named user account".
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

jnapier

Post by jnapier » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:47 pm

Is there an API to perform admin functions on Vault, such as adding a user.

I couldn't find anything in the client api.

ericsink

Post by ericsink » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:05 pm

jnapier wrote:Is there an API to perform admin functions on Vault, such as adding a user.

I couldn't find anything in the client api.
Yes, this is possible. The client API is the same one we use to write our own clients, so in theory you can do anything that is done in the Vault GUI client or admin client. The only caveats are:

1. The API is not documented.

2. The API is subject to change.
Eric Sink
Software Craftsman
SourceGear

jeremy_sg

Post by jeremy_sg » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:57 am

Init a clientinstance with the AccessLevelType of VaultClientNetLib.VaultConnection.AccessLevelType.Admin. Then, you should be able to use
ClientInstance.Connection.AddUser(ref VaultUser vUser)