Unable to connect to server

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

LeisureTime

Unable to connect to server

Post by LeisureTime » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:13 am

I have a programmer in India that cannot connect to the SOS server - gets an "Unable to connect to server" messsage from the SOS client. I even remoted into his computer and verified it. Gets the same message on two different computers using two different versions of SOS 4.0.2 and 4.2.x (my server is 4.2.x).

Yet when I use a different computer than the SOS server, and remote to another computer 3000 miles away, I can connect to the SOS server using the SOS client using the same IP address and port as the programmer.

Any ideas on why I can connect but he can't?

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:52 am

You'll need to find out what may be blocking him. A personal firewall? A firewall on the developer's gateway? Some other device which would interfere w/ IP:port?

Assuming it is not a DNS problem (since you mentioned IP address), you could try to run a trace route to see if you can get through.

Another way to check the connection could be made is to try "telnet <IP> <port>". SOS Server should answer on this, and return some kind of data when you hit <ENTER>

HTH
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear

LeisureTime

Post by LeisureTime » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:17 am

jclausius wrote:You'll need to find out what may be blocking him. A personal firewall? A firewall on the developer's gateway? Some other device which would interfere w/ IP:port?

Assuming it is not a DNS problem (since you mentioned IP address), you could try to run a trace route to see if you can get through.

Another way to check the connection could be made is to try "telnet <IP> <port>". SOS Server should answer on this, and return some kind of data when you hit <ENTER>

HTH
Perhaps my Qwest DSL service is blocking incoming from India?

How do I run a trace route?

I tried TelNet from my remote that is working with SOS, and the TelNet failed, so I'm not sure that's a good test.

Thanks,
-Ted

LeisureTime

Post by LeisureTime » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:22 am

jclausius wrote:You'll need to find out what may be blocking him. A personal firewall? A firewall on the developer's gateway? Some other device which would interfere w/ IP:port?
HTH
It should be noted that they ARE able to connect to another SOS server from the very same box, so that would seem to eliminate any firewall issues on their end.

I can access my SOS server from the remote desktop in Philly, so that would seem to eliminate any firewall issues on my end.

I called Qwest tech support and they say they don't have anything in place (firewalls, etc.) that would prevent a computer in India from accessing my computer.

jclausius

Post by jclausius » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:36 am

On Windows the tracert utility will gradually increment time to live. On Solaris/Linux, use the traceroute or tracepath utility.

What we want to know is where the routes taken from India to the SOS Server die. It could be someone has a mis-configured route that the traffic is not getting through.

We can try to help, but without actual assistance from any of the network providers, it might be difficult to determine why the network traffic is not reaching your SOS server.
Jeff Clausius
SourceGear