How can I easily rename a working folder?

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

RJCantrell

How can I easily rename a working folder?

Post by RJCantrell » Tue May 13, 2008 5:14 pm

Firstly, I tried to find the answer to my question in the Knowledge Base and via the search, to no avail. My apologies if this is a dumb question.

Here's a scenario that I feel should be simple, but doesn't seem to be. We had a need to rename a few Vault branches, and, being a perfectionist about such things, I renamed my local working directories to match. After doing this, and changing the working folder associations, all my files (>5000) are in an "Unknown" status. I understand the reason for this status (namely, baselines for file deltas, etc), but I'd like to know if there's a simple way to rectify it. Renaming any of the working directories to its previous name solves the problem for that branch, so I know that Vault has this baseline info locally, but I'm unsure of how to edit the paths therein.

I looked at the Vault files found here ( http://support.sourcegear.com/viewtopic.php?t=6 ), and tried to find/replace the folder name in my text editor but couldn't. I also tried to copy the files elsewhere to see if Vault might recalculate the data.

Is there anything to do but to complete / check in / resolve any outstanding changes and then Get the entire repository structure anew? = (

Thanks for your help!

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Wed May 14, 2008 8:05 am

What version of Vault are you using?

In Vault 4.1.1 I was able to rename a folder without it creating an Unknown status for files. Vault automatically renamed the working folder.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear
Technical Support Manager

RJCantrell

Post by RJCantrell » Wed May 14, 2008 10:35 am

Ah, I knew I was forgetting something.

I'm using the 3.1.9 client, and a 3.something server, because the company never looked to upgrade when they found that the product did all they needed and wanted it to at the time.

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu May 15, 2008 10:19 am

You could try enabling CRC's in the GUI Client under Tools->Options->Local Files.

If that doesn't work, your best bet is to Get Latest.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Don Thimsen

Post by Don Thimsen » Thu May 15, 2008 7:35 pm

I'm not sure if this works in 3.1.9, but if a folder has a LOT of unknown status entries, you can force Vault to re-evaluate the status of all the members in the folder by selecting a single member and then right-clicking and then "show differences..." I've used this several times lately with the 4.0.6 client to clear up status problems. Note: This only works for the current folder and not the subfolders...

If you're a local user the Get Lastest is probably a better options. If the client is remote and you don't want a local copy of every file try the "show differences..."

Don

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Thu May 15, 2008 8:57 pm

Yes, that's a good tip I'd forgotten about.
Linda Bauer
SourceGear

Don Thimsen

Post by Don Thimsen » Fri May 16, 2008 8:31 am

Linda,

Is the function that kicks off the status check available to the command line interface? It would be nice to automate the process if possible...

Thanks,
Don

RJCantrell

Post by RJCantrell » Fri May 16, 2008 8:46 am

I had found the "Show Differences" trick, but unfortunately our codebase has a lot of folders in folders in folders ad nauseum.

Since this was all a search for a quick fix that would allow me to be lazy, I think the laziest thing to do is rectify any outstanding changes I have, get latest on the whole repository, and go for a smoke break.

Thanks for the help, though!

lbauer

Post by lbauer » Fri May 16, 2008 12:19 pm

Upgrading to Vault 4.1 is an option, too. :)
Linda Bauer
SourceGear