Vault Client 4.1.1 Install Issue

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

dsquires

Vault Client 4.1.1 Install Issue

Post by dsquires » Mon May 19, 2008 9:55 am

I had the vault 3.5 client on my machine for about a year. I will admit right off the bat (without knowing if this is related) that at one point I needed to resize my c:\ drive on this machine. The 3.5 client was installed on c:\program files\etc and had worked just fine all this time.

We just upgraded to 4.1.1. and the uninstall of 3.5 on my machine failed - it didn't log the issue so that i can report it via event viewer... but it did remove the vault client as something i can "uninstall".

So of course - I went ahead and tried to install the 4.1.1 client without success. It throws the following error(s) - it says it can't find the file specified in a dialog during the install and then the event viewer says:

Product: SourceGear Vault Client -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action VsipClientCustomActions.exe, location: C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\VsipClientCustomActions.exe, command: -I

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

My hope is that there is some sort of manual cleaning of the 3.5 client i can do to resolve this? or something?

thanks in advance.

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon May 19, 2008 1:39 pm

For the client, you can remove the SourceGear directory and then look through the registry to clear out keys that point to SourceGear. That will completely remove everything.

dsquires

Post by dsquires » Mon May 19, 2008 2:28 pm

Well - I cleaned my registry... and added devenv to my path due to the messages i found in the vault_client_install.log file (included) - and still the same error.

This is the interesting part (in my mind):
Running Devenv /setup
Checking for Windows Vista...
Devenv setup failed: The system cannot find the file specified

I should add I'm running windows server 2003? I've run the devenv /setup via the command line without issue.

Log started at 19 May 2008 - 15.00.45
Loading Client Custom Actions
Adding registry keys for VSIP integration...
Getting the VS2005 Path
Getting the VS2008 Path
VS2005 path is: E:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\
VS2008 path is: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\
Installing Vsip Registry Keys
Looking for program install directory
InstallDir is: C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\
Install Directory is:C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\
Installing Keys from file C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\FortressConnectionRegistry.xml
Adding CodeBase Key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Packages\{62D7AF8C-D6FB-4a5f-84AC-5B397D72C1C3} FortressConnectionService.dll
Adding Code Base Value
Looking for program install directory
InstallDir is: C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\
Install Directory is:C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\
Installing Keys from file C:\Program Files\SourceGear\Vault Client\VaultVsipRegistry.xml
Adding CodeBase Key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Packages\{1EA47954-8515-402d-82D9-B5C332120A8D} VaultVsipClient.dll
Adding Code Base Value
Running Devenv /setup
Checking for Windows Vista...
Devenv setup failed: The system cannot find the file specified

dsquires

Post by dsquires » Mon May 19, 2008 5:06 pm

i fixed this. i'm not sure if this would be true of a dev machine that never had vs2005 on it - but i'd installed vs2008 and uninstalled vs2005 at one point. somehow, this confused the vault installer. to get it working properly within vs2008, i had to reinstall vs2005. :?

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue May 20, 2008 8:07 am

That's seems a bit odd. Did you every try an uninstall and reinstall of Vault? I would have expected that to take care of it. It sounds like there's some key set for VS 2005 that's not set for VS 2008.

In order for Vault to set the registry keys for IDE integration, it has to be installed after Visual Studio.

If you wanted to go back to where VS 2005 is not on your machine, I'd suggest uninstalling Vault, then uninstall VS 2005, and then reinstall Vault.

Thanks for the follow up on how you got working.

mskrobul

Post by mskrobul » Tue May 20, 2008 11:14 am

The Vault installer looks in your registry to see if and where you have VS2005 and/or VS2008 installed then installs the VSIP registry stuff accordingly.

For VS2005
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\InstallDir

For VS2008
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0\InstallDir

It looks like after you uninstalled VS2005 the InstallDir key still existed in your registry (since the log says VS2005 path is: E:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\ ) so Vault thought you still had VS2005 installed and tried to act accordingly.
Mary Jo Skrobul
SourceGear