Get latest hangs

If you are having a problem using SourceOffSite, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

guillaume

Get latest hangs

Post by guillaume » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:09 am

Hi,
I decide to report my problem, which had gone away for some years but is happening again now:
When I get latest on my project (53 folders, 2781 files, 18.4Mb), I get the following output in SourceOffsite client:
- "Updating file list :xxxx" for all directories
- "Received file list:xxxx" for almost all directories
And it stays hanging with hourglass as if waiting for the remaining directories file lists.

What is strange is that if I get latest on some underdirectories (everything works well) and if I try a get latest on the root again, it gets more file lists before hanging.
It may even happen that (if I have already got enough subfolders) it eventually works as expected.
But it may also hang after all file lists are received, in the middle of a file download. I may also work or hang unpredictably on a second "get latest" on the root just after a succesful attempt.

It works as if after a certain amount of data the client would miss packets from server. I noticed also that it could pause some time on a "Received file list:", and suddendly log 10 ""Received file list:" lines at once, even after a Service restart.

I experienced this the first time on W2000 about 5 years ago. It came and went several time as Sourceoffsite server was moved from front end server (that receives direct connections from internet) to another server (the front end server was used as a gateway). I concluded that there were problems on relaying packet over gateway, proxies, firewalls,...
Then I got a new machine with XP and never experienced it as far as I remember, even if Sourceoffsite server was not on the frontend server.
I recently got a new machine with Vista 32 SP1. Everything seemded to work well at the beginning. Then I experienced it once, but it went away after a reboot of my machine.

Now, even after a reboot of my machine and the server, I cannot make it work, but it is still working properly on my older machine with XP, on exactly the same project. I conclude that everything comes from the client (my machine or Sourceoffsite client)

For the moment, there is only my new machine with Vista with has been switched on since I rebooted the server. I deleted all .sos files and try a "clean" "get latest" (with no existing local folder). I even tried a downgrade to VSS 6.0c. and also the update of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{783CD4E4-9D54-11CF-B8EE-00608CC9A71F}\InprocServer32 (But I don't think it comes from the server anyway).
But no success and no error in server log file.

To be sure, I just started my older machine with XP and tried a clean get latest. It worked.

My configuration:
Server: Windows Server 2003 SP2 english . SourceOffsite Server 4.2 (even if file version shows 4.1.2.242). Uses SSAPI.DLL 6.0.96.4 installed for VS6
Client: Windows Vista 32 Sp1 French. SourceOffsite CLient 4.2 (4.1.2.242). (VS2005 is also installed on this machine)

Regards,
Guillaume

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:19 am

Can you check your SourceOffSite server log for errors that occur at the same time that your client hangs? That log by default is in the SourceOffSite directory on the server and called log.txt.

Do you have your Vista firewall running? Do you get any different behavior with that turned off?

My suspicion is that Vista is not leaving the connection open on the client side.

guillaume

Post by guillaume » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:36 am

Hi Beth,

I just did the following:
- restarted SosService on server
- erased .sos file on client
- deactivated Vista firewall on client
- deactivated antivirus on client
- opened SourceOffsite client (it built the tree structure as expexted)
- set a working directory to a local location that did not exist
- tried a GetLatest (recursive) of my project

It hanged half way on receiving file lists. In Log file, I get no more than
6/18/2008 10:12:18 AM - Connection accepted from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:55555 on local address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080, session id is 2.

What is strange is that on receiving file lists, I saw the first line "Received file list: xxxxx", then it paused for about 30 s, then it wrote 36 "Received file list: xxxxx" at once, then hanged.
When it works (on my older XP machine), I get a "Received file list: xxxxx" regularely every 5-10 s (depending on the content of the under directory).
It works as if "received file lists: xxxx" (or the underlying operations) were cached somewhere for an unknown reason, and when the cache overflows, its content is flushed on the output pane of sourceoffsite client, and hangs.

Regards,
Guillaume

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:31 pm

Are there any errors showing up in Event Viewer on either the client machine or the server machine?

Were any updates put in lately? You had mentioned that it had been years since this had happened.