Largish Commit is freezing Vault on the Server

If you are having a problem using Vault, post a message here.

Moderator: SourceGear

andrews

Largish Commit is freezing Vault on the Server

Post by andrews » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:22 pm

We had a strange problem yesterday. A user running a large commit (though we've done many that were bigger with no problems) got errors halfway through the process ... and not only that, everyone was then locked out as their Vault Clients could no longer connect to the server.

The SQL Server services were still running - restarting them made no difference. Restarting the website in IIS made no difference either. The only way we could bring Vault back to life was by rebooting the server.

After we did this the first time, the commit was attempted again & the problem re-occurred. We got the Vault Client messages from the machine attempting the commit & have attached them here. After the second reboot, the commit ran again & this time it worked.

This is all quite strange! If you have any ideas as to what's causing the problem please let me know :)
Attachments
vaultcommiterrors.txt
(335.52 KiB) Downloaded 166 times

Beth

Post by Beth » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:05 am

When restarting IIS, it's best to just go to Start - Run and type iisreset. Just stopping and starting the service yourself doesn't reload configuration information I think. Doing it the way I mentioned should eliminate the need to reboot the entire server.

How large is the file $/VL/Trunk/IDE RDML/IDE/LEVSV002.rp?

Smaller checkins work fine?

Would it be possible for you to load a client right onto the Vault server and try the same checkin from there? This will help me narrow down where the problem lies.

andrews

Post by andrews » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:51 pm

Beth wrote:When restarting IIS, it's best to just go to Start - Run and type iisreset. Just stopping and starting the service yourself doesn't reload configuration information I think. Doing it the way I mentioned should eliminate the need to reboot the entire server.
Ok thanks - if it happens again I'll try that :)
How large is the file $/VL/Trunk/IDE RDML/IDE/LEVSV002.rp?
All the files are quite small (about 3kb)
Smaller checkins work fine?
Yes, and we've done much larger checkins when moving our repository from PVCS without this problem.
Would it be possible for you to load a client right onto the Vault server and try the same checkin from there? This will help me narrow down where the problem lies.
If it happens again we'll try that. Unfortunately we can't replicate the problem, as on the 3rd attempt the commit worked & everything's been fine since. I decided to post about it just in case you'd heard of something similar happening previously.

Beth

Post by Beth » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:47 am

Thanks for the update. There are multiple possibilities for what could be happening, so I would have a hard time telling you the root cause without going through a troubleshoot and trying a few things.

Take a look at your Vault Server Log for any errors that occurred at the same time. That could give us a clue.