When file already exists in Explorer

Support for our DiffMerge utility.

Moderator: SourceGear

Robert Webb

When file already exists in Explorer

Post by Robert Webb » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:08 am

Here's something I've wanted for years. More options when trying to copy/move a file from one folder to another where a file already exists of the same name in Explorer. Rather than just yes/no to replace the existing file, I'd like to see these choices: replace, diff, merge, cancel.

If choosing merge, then the DiffMerge window would appear. After viewing the diffs I guess there would need to be an easy way to say yes to the new file or cancel and keep the old. Is it even possible to override such behaviour via Shell extensions?

Thanks,
Rob.

jeffhostetler

Re: When file already exists in Explorer

Post by jeffhostetler » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:02 am

If I understand what you're saying, I think you could right-click on one of the files from Explorer
and select "SourceGear DiffMerge > Add File to List" and then right-click on the other one in
the other directory and select "SourceGear DiffMerge > Compare File with > 1 ...". This should
cause DiffMerge to appear with the 2 versions of the file.

You may need to use the "Swap" button to get the one you want to modify in the right/bottom
panel. (It doesn't matter which order you right-click and select them, Explorer gives them to
me in random order.)

You can then see the differences between the 2 and optionally save changes to one of them.

Hope this helps,
jeff

Robert Webb

Post by Robert Webb » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:13 am

Thanks, but yes I realise I can do it that way. Would just be so much more convenient if it was right there in the replace-file dialog box. Could be that I'm not expecting to hit a file of the same name when I move/copy the file, or could be that I know it's there and want to check the diffs before confirming the replace.

I guess quite possibly shell extensions don't let you intercept the replace-file dialog though. Do you know?
Thanks,
Rob.

jeffhostetler

Post by jeffhostetler » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:16 am

I see what you're asking. Yes, that would be convenient.

I don't know if Explorer lets you catch that dialog or not.
I'll log a request to investigate.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you now,
jeff